🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I would LOVE for them to review this movie, but am worried they are tired of the super low budget, first time film maker, style movies (ie birdemic, the room). It would be hilarious but they haven't done this type of "bad" in a while and wonder if they want to return to it.

http://www.avclub.co...his-get-m-92111

AVC: I had to stop watching Birdemic after about 20 minutes because it made me feel like I was exploiting the man’s delusions, or I was complicit in that exploitation.

PS: Me too. Truthfully, I did too, and that’s why we, for the most part, stay away from movies like that, because there are plenty of movies out there like that.

This a different case than "Birdemic" or "The Room" though in that it's a forgotten film that wasn't talked about for decades. It's such a fun movie that you can enjoy without irony, as while it almost certainly WAS the act of someone completely delusional, the makers of "Miami Connection" didn't spend the next twenty years making a career of promoting it as the next great Best Worst Movie, or trying to back-peddle and say "Yeah, uhhhhh, we MEANT for it to be this bad. Yup, we were in on the joke the whole time", like the makers of the previously mentioned films. While that may or may not be true, Tommy and the "Birdemic" guy still have aspirations to make more films, which is something they're terrible at, and the obliviousness that made their earlier work so enjoyable (?) is now replaced by an incredible self-awareness and calculated bad movie making. Supporting THOSE projects would make me feel dirty, but I'd still be happy to talk about and continue to share the badness that brought them to the dance.

Hmmmm, has anyone done any sort of study to see what the last great pre-Internet/pre-YouTube bad movie discovery was? I mean, I grew up on "Troll 2", it was on VHS and was on TV all the time, and it was kind of a cult classic even then, but there are other movies from around that same time (many of which have been suggested here) that I wasn't even aware of until years later when friends started posting clips of it.

I am watching this for the first time and I'm only 15 minutes in and I'm 100% in. This is the perfect kind of movie for HDTGM.

Also, I just paused the movie to listen to Dragon Song's Friends twice.

• Like 2

So Craig Robinson's accessory in This Is The End is an homage to the Dragon Song keyboardist. It all makes sense now.

• Like 1

I will say this, if YK Kim's character had been a mute, or just someone who spoke no English he would have actually been a halfway decent actor.

• Like 1

I will say this, if YK Kim's character had been a mute, or just someone who spoke no English he would have actually been a halfway decent actor.

It would have been great watching this and NOT knowing that it was his vanity project. I mean, we know he made it, and it's screamingly obvious why he's front and center in everything that's going on, whether he really should be or not, but I think I'd enjoy the "What the Fuck?"-edness of wondering why the Asian guy that can sparely speak English is getting all these motivational speeches and moments. Also, as I mentioned before, it's awesome when someone writes themselves to be awesome at something when it's clear they have no aptitude for it at all. He's the lead guitarist in Dragon Sound (which is pretty impressive, as they appear to have about 28 guitarists), and he's performing like he's never SEEN a guitar, much less ever held one.

• Like 1

It would have been great watching this and NOT knowing that it was his vanity project. I mean, we know he made it, and it's screamingly obvious why he's front and center in everything that's going on, whether he really should be or not, but I think I'd enjoy the "What the Fuck?"-edness of wondering why the Asian guy that can sparely speak English is getting all these motivational speeches and moments. Also, as I mentioned before, it's awesome when someone writes themselves to be awesome at something when it's clear they have no aptitude for it at all. He's the lead guitarist in Dragon Sound (which is pretty impressive, as they appear to have about 28 guitarists), and he's performing like he's never SEEN a guitar, much less ever held one.

I would have just assumed that it was the 80s and that in the 80s, your gang lacked martial arts skills unless there was an Asian person in it.

I went to facebook to see if there was an official Dragon Song page and got really really really excited when I saw that there was and Dragon Song was playing some gigs in my area. I was then disappointed when I discovered that it was a rennfest inspired medieval band and that they probably wouldn't know Against The Ninja.

I have a question for those of you that have seen Cocaine Cowboys: What percentage of the budget of this movie do you think was funded with Cocaine money?

• Like 1

Busted out my sweet-ass "Dragon Sound" shirt for the first time this Spring, which made me think again of how much I'd like for them to discuss this flick, so I figured I'd give it a bump!

• Like 2

Man I was calling the band "Dragon Song" when it's "Dragon Sound" that's a huge old man move. Oh well, I'll just go back to listening to The Nickelback.

• Like 1

I came in here to suggest this movie. It's the perfect whirlwind of facepalm-worthy, beautiful shittiness.

He's the lead guitarist in Dragon Sound (which is pretty impressive, as they appear to have about 28 guitarists)

I think technically he was 1st chair

• Like 1

Holy shit, this movie is airing on TCM on January 10th. That's TCM, Turner Classic Movies and not TMC The Movie Channel: http://www.tcm.com/t...ami-Connection/

Looks like it's going to be on late Saturday evening or early Sunday morning, depending on where you live. That's where they air their TCM Underground stuff, which is more cheesy and grindhouse-y stuff. (They've aired movies like "The Apple," "The Baby" and, the week after "Miami Connection," they'll show "Maximum Overdrive.")

• Like 1

I hereby nominate the word "Classics" to join "literally" and "ironic" in the pantheon of words deserving of alternate definitions that describe the word as "the opposite of what this word actually means". I'd say AMC is more guilty of this sort of thing though, as I once saw them air "Species 2" in the middle of July or something, not as part of their Monsterfest, or whatever it's called when they keep showing "Halloween 6" every day for the entire month of October.

I hereby nominate the word "Classics" to join "literally" and "ironic" in the pantheon of words deserving of alternate definitions that describe the word as "the opposite of what this word actually means". I'd say AMC is more guilty of this sort of thing though, as I once saw them air "Species 2" in the middle of July or something, not as part of their Monsterfest, or whatever it's called when they keep showing "Halloween 6" every day for the entire month of October.

AMC has long since stopped claiming the "C" stands for "classics." In fact, it sounds like they've stopped claiming that the letters stand for anything at all. Turner Classic Movies, on the other hand, still airs mostly older movies which could conceivably be called "classics;" the TCM Underground thing is a once-a-week thing which seems to have been done to attract younger viewers.

I regularly DVR true classics on TCM. I recently recorded the Ingmar Bergman faith trilogy, so they do mostly stay true to their name. I'm going to DVR Miami Connection though because it is awesome and if they do get some sort of Neilsen rating off our DVRs I want to send the signal that Miami Connection is in demand.

• Like 1

The instrumental version of "Against The Ninja" is my jam.

I have this and "Friends" in my workout playlist. Plyometrics for eternity!

Utterly fantastic movie. So much fun, and almost heartwarming just by virtue of its own existence.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/miami_connection_2011/

"The year is 1987. Motorcycle ninjas tighten their grip on Florida's narcotics trade, viciously annihilating anyone who dares move in on their turf. Multi-national martial arts rock band Dragon Sound have had enough, and embark on a roundhouse wreck-wave of crime-crushing justice. When not chasing beach bunnies or performing their hit song "Against the Ninja," Mark (kung-fu master/inspirational speaker Y.K. Kim) and the boys are kicking and chopping at the drug world's smelliest underbelly. It'll take every ounce of their blood and courage, but Dragon Sound can't stop until they've completely destroyed the dealers, the drunk bikers, the kill-crazy ninjas, the middle-aged thugs, the "stupid cocaine"...and the entire MIAMI CONNECTION!!!"

Everyone keeps posting Kung Fury and all I can think of is how this movie wishes it was Miami Connection.

Just because this thread hasn't been bumped in a while; and because HDTGM should 100% do it.

“I didn’t know you have father. I thought we are all orpins.”

I believe it's on PopcornFlix for free (with ads)