đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—

Who was the rapper who performed the intro of "The Glow"?

It sounds like Kurtis Blow to me, but I can't be sure.

That reminds me, there's a wrestling podcast that I listen to that's used that song as an intro for about the last decade, so I've heard that first part hundreds of times. Good tune.

I'd be really sad if they never cover this movie. Its really fucking perfect for this podcast, and is a very enjoyable movie in its own right.

• Like 1

Set in New York City, the movie follows a martial artist named Leroy Green (A.K.A. "Bruce Leroy"), who has dreams of becoming a great martial artist like his idol Bruce Lee. His master (Thomas Ikeda) explains that he has touched the final level of martial arts accomplishment known as "The Last Dragon". Martial artists who reach this final level are said to be able to concentrate such mystical energy into their hands that they begin to glow. Only a true martial arts master would be able to exhibit "The Glow" over his entire body. Leroy doesn't fully understand and, in possession of a medal supposedly belonging to Bruce Lee, Leroy embarks upon a journey to find Master Sum Dum Goy, whom his master claims can help Leroy unlock the power of "The Glow".

Another martial artist, Sho'nuff (Julius J. Carry III) (A.K.A "The Shogun of Harlem") sees Leroy as the only obstacle to being acknowledged as the true master of martial arts. Leroy refuses to fight him and a furious Sho'nuff vows that he will defeat Leroy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i5zVyyhtpA&feature=youtu.be&t=8s

Sho-Nuff.jpg

This movie is a delicious buffet of items for the HDTGM crew to feast on! This movie is a culmination of 80's hubris! I love it in all of its glorious terribleness! I hope this is on the list for them to cover one day...

(I'm a little shocked that no one has suggested this movie before now. I DID do a search first, so if this is a repost, I'm sorry.)

I know there are like a million movies out there about wannabe mobsters trying to get their girlfriend's music video on TV and having to resort to kung fu masters to do it, but this is easily the best of them.

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon is amazing. It has everything from martial arts to pizza to William H. Macy and a baby Ernie Reyes, Jr. And Sho'Nuff may be the greatest character to ever appear on film. They need to do this movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Crt4S1IZM

This would be ideal after the JCVD double feature and all the musicals it's the best of both worlds , it's Motown , Kung fu ,Debarge and the glow, sum dum goy is a red hearing too onelfthe most underrated Kung. Fu villains of all time , please Paul or anyone Jason any other fans show some love

I came here to suggest this movie and here it is! We NEED an episode on this movie. I recently walked into a crowded movie theater and shouted "Am I the meanest?" and noone responded with Sho'Nuff. No one. What has this world come to.

• Like 1

The Last Dragon belongs in the “Thank God This Got Made” Pantheon with the likes of Bloodsport, Steetfighter and the entire Fast and Furious franchise.

Why, you may ask? Well it is a blaxplotaion kungfu labradoodle of a film starring the mononymous powerhouse duo of Taimak and Vanity. It’s the story of Bruce LeRoy Green, a young black martial art student from 1980's New York who searches for the proprietor of the “Sum Dum Goy Fortune Cookie Factory”, only known as “ The Master” in hopes that he will able to help him obtain the final level of martial arts mastery known as “the glow” In his travels he encounters Laura Charles who has reached the pinnacle or power and influence for any woman of the 1980s; an MTV/SoulTrain-esque VEEJAY. Mrs Charles runs afoul of Eddie Arkadian, an ambiguously mobbed up (?) dirtbag (!) promoter of all things that can be promoted. Be it a washed up boxer (Played by Mike Star, who somehow looks older here than he does almost a decade later when he appears in Dumb and Dumber) or a bobo Cindi Lauper

Does this movie have 80’s era action/comedy troupes? Yes, all of them!

Terrible 80’s music (including a cameo from the effeminate, black, undeniable John Oats-esque "DeBarge"!) CHECK!

Casual 80’s racism? Check!

Cartoonishly evil villain with an evil plan that’s vagueness is only overshadowed by its underwhelming potential for ROI? Check!

Creepily over-sexual little brother? Check!

A kid poppin' and locking his way out of bondage ? DISCOUNT DOUBLE CHECK!

This movie is packed with start power. Aside from the aforementioned Vanity who places Laura Charles (who can only be played by Beyonce in the inevitable gritty reboot), there is a baby Ernie Reyes Jr (Side note: the transformation from the ewok-like creature in this film to the hunky leading man of Surf Ninjas warrants its own 8 part documentary series, a la OJ: Made in America) We also have Christopher Murney, whose portrayal of Eddie Arcadian is a tour de force! He out Kurt Fullers Kurt Fuller's performance inthe seminal work “ No Holds Barred”.

Oh and if you think this movie doesn’t have a cameo by William H. Macy, you would be WRONG!

This movie should, neigh MUST, be reviewed on HDTGM! In the racially charged times in which we live, this primarily African American cast film takes a brave look at life in the inner cities of the 1980's and says “Hey, lets make a Van Damme movie, but like, with, like, black folks!” #HDTGM-SO-WHITE

Is this the greatest movie that will ever be on HDTGM? SHO’ NUFF!

• Like 2

I only hope that if (when) this movie gets reviewed, they run the "Glow" song at the end of the episode like they did with Mortal Kombat.

Seriously entertaining movie! It'd be perfect for HDTGM.

YouTube and Amazon both stream it for $2.99. You can buy a new DVD from Amazon for less than $4.

William H Macy's greatest role:

Berry-Gordys-The-Last-Dragon-William-H-Macy.jpg

• Like 2

Oh God, please HDTGM team!!!!! Do this movie!! I would let Jason tea bag me while June punches me in the dick if that would get them to do this movie.

Someones getting Tea bagged and Dick kicked!

• Like 2

N-thing this movie recommendation. It's such a great movie. Both entertaining an completely bonkers. I'd love to hear the gang's theories on what is actually happening in this movie.

This movie cost $10 million to make? I haven't seen it, so maybe I'm off base, but it doesn't seem like the type of movie that would require that much of a budget. Was it music rights? The Glow? Cocaine?!?!

This movie cost $10 million to make? I haven't seen it, so maybe I'm off base, but it doesn't seem like the type of movie that would require that much of a budget. Was it music rights? The Glow? Cocaine?!?!

Rumor has it a lot of the budget was spent on spaghetti when Sho'nuff trashes the pasta place. pasta place or pizza place i forget. I did buy the soundtrack to this movie since they remastered it.