🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jeffullrich

Jeff Q&A

Hi All - the forums are a big place and it's hard to always answer all the questions that are basically for me. So I'm starting this one thread that I can stay on top of consistently and make sure I explain what we are doing and why.

I love this stuff so don't be shy and I look forward to interacting with everyone. Who's got the first question?

• Like 5

I do.

I think I heard somewhere that if I am signed into amazon.com by default when I visit in my browser, that if I click an amazon link somewhere, such as earwolf.com, they don't get the credit they would for the purchase if I didn't have myself automatically logged into amazon.com.

I hope that is an old wive's tale but if it isn't I'll have to change some things so the amazon support ends up where I want it instead of nowhere.

I do.

I think I heard somewhere that if I am signed into amazon.com by default when I visit in my browser, that if I click an amazon link somewhere, such as earwolf.com, they don't get the credit they would for the purchase if I didn't have myself automatically logged into amazon.com.

I hope that is an old wive's tale but if it isn't I'll have to change some things so the amazon support ends up where I want it instead of nowhere.

To be honest, I'm not sure if that's true. It's a good question. My understanding was that it would count. What we do and ask others to do it just bookmark the affiliate link (because even I forget to click from our website sometimes) and then use that bookmark whenever you shop on Amazon. Once that happens, we get a steady stream of 5% from whatever you shop. Sorry I couldn't give a better answer and thanks for caring enough to support us!

Hey Jeff,

I hope this isn't too intrusive of a question. Is Earwolf turning a profit yet? I remember the last time I heard you speak on the financials of the company you were still losing money (that was probably over a year ago). Again if this is something you don't want to answer I understand.

Jaime, the scenario you describe is possible due to the way Amazon tracks who receives credit for your purchases.

Basically, the last affiliate ID you click is stored in your cookies. Since every Amazon link you encounter can theoretically include a different affiliate ID, that ID is constantly being overwritten. The only way to guarantee that Earwolf gets credit is to go through the Amazon link on Earwolf.com.

Still, many sites have links to specific Amazon product pages that include hard-coded affiliate IDs. If you unwittingly click one of those (or are sent one via e-mail, or have them bookmarked), the Earwolf ID will once again be overwritten. To help prevent this issue, I've installed these browser add-ons:

for Google Chrome
AffiliateFox
for Mozilla Firefox
and entered the affiliate ID earwolf-20 in the settings for both. Your browser then overwrites every Amazon link you click to credit Earwolf instead of someone else.

• Like 2

Jaime, the scenario you describe is possible due to the way Amazon tracks who receives credit for your purchases.

Basically, the last affiliate ID you click is stored in your cookies. Since every Amazon link you encounter can theoretically include a different affiliate ID, that ID is constantly being overwritten. The only way to guarantee that Earwolf gets credit is to go through the Amazon link on Earwolf.com.

Still, many sites have links to specific Amazon product pages that include hard-coded affiliate IDs. If you unwittingly click one of those (or are sent one via e-mail, or have them bookmarked), the Earwolf ID will once again be overwritten. To help prevent this issue, I've installed these browser add-ons:

for Google Chrome
for Mozilla Firefox

and entered the affiliate ID
earwolf-20
in the settings for both. Your browser then overwrites every Amazon link you click to credit Earwolf instead of someone else.

Wow, thanks Dan!!!!

Hey Jeff,

I hope this isn't too intrusive of a question. Is Earwolf turning a profit yet? I remember the last time I heard you speak on the financials of the company you were still losing money (that was probably over a year ago). Again if this is something you don't want to answer I understand.

Thanks for the question Justin.

Yes, Earwolf is profitable. We've been fortunate enough to be profitable for a long time. There is a big caveat, though, which is that we spend most of what we make (not all!). Profit sharing with the artists, studio, staff, more staff, equipment, website, hosting, legal fees, etc. And we've been investing in new initiatives. We have had a lot of money (for us) come in during 2012, but we keep very little. That's okay, it's by design. Most of our shows lose us money, but it's important to us to keep putting out great stuff and giving it time to breathe and grow. You'll be seeing a few shows go away in the new year, but none based on financial reasons.

We've never made a content decision based on money, which is the reason we are self-funded. We don't want anyone telling us to worry about the bottom line, especially on a show by show basis. Sometimes the show hosts have a hard time keeping up with the workload, which is very understandable - it's a ton of work for not much (if any) money. But I'm very proud that we've never cancelled a show because of the cost.

• Like 4

for Google Chrome
for Mozilla Firefox

and entered the affiliate ID
earwolf-20
in the settings for both. Your browser then overwrites every Amazon link you click to credit Earwolf instead of someone else.

I always forget to use my bookmark/earwolf link, thanks for the nifty chrome extension recommendation.

Is Affirmation Nation ever coming back? I miss Ducca.

Seth and I emailed a few weeks ago. Sadly, it's officially retired. RIP.

Seth and I emailed a few weeks ago. Sadly, it's officially retired. RIP.

Probably because he made the correct decision to write/act on a shitty show like Whitney and make some $$$. RIP Ducca.

Is there going to be another Earwolf challenge season next year?

And, if so, how would you go about trying to enter?

Unfortunately the combination of no one to produce it (that was a TON of work for Frank and Peter, work they didn't get paid for) and the fact that almost no one listened to it, means it's unlikely there will be another season of The Earwolf Challenge.

Awww.. I listened to it :) If you guys end up doing it again or doing something similar, I would suggest shorter intros and analyzations for each episode.. Nothing against Matt Besser obviously he's awesome and hilarious, but it took a while to find the actual part of the show where I could hear the contestants and their challenges, rather than hearing people talk about the contestants and their challenges.

In general though, I definitely enjoyed it, I loved the concept and I would love to listen to another season of Earwolf Challenge or something similar.

When will we learn the fate of the CBB TV series? I tweeted @IFCtv this week to ask when we'd be able to purchase an iTunes Season Pass for Season 2 but, alas, received no response.

Also, now that the venerated CBB stand-up show has performed its swan song, do Scott and Kulap have any plans to continue the Nativity Pageant? (Too soon?)

When will we learn the fate of the CBB TV series? I tweeted @IFCtv this week to ask when we'd be able to purchase an iTunes Season Pass for Season 2 but, alas, received no response.

Also, now that the venerated CBB stand-up show has performed its swan song, do Scott and Kulap have any plans to continue the Nativity Pageant? (Too soon?)

Crappy answers - No word and I have no idea! Sorry Dan. Maybe Earwolf will be in a position to take some of the load off of them (although they do great by themselves) by then.

Awww.. I listened to it :) If you guys end up doing it again or doing something similar, I would suggest shorter intros and analyzations for each episode.. Nothing against Matt Besser obviously he's awesome and hilarious, but it took a while to find the actual part of the show where I could hear the contestants and their challenges, rather than hearing people talk about the contestants and their challenges.

In general though, I definitely enjoyed it, I loved the concept and I would love to listen to another season of Earwolf Challenge or something similar.

Thanks for listening Dan. I never say never, but it's going to be hard to do something like that in the near future. Sorry.

Here's an easy one that I've always wondered - Who says "This has been an Earwolf Media production..." at the beginning of the Earwolf outro?

Here's an easy one that I've always wondered - Who says "This has been an Earwolf Media production..." at the beginning of the Earwolf outro?

Former engineer Joe. He was the engineer in July and August of 2010. I still talk to him and he is doing well as a musician!

Sad to hear that Affirmation Nation is done, but it was a great ride. Which brings up another question... are there any series coming or currently airing that are either intended to be a mini-series or will be ending soon?

Also, any word on a Digital Video Disc (or "DVD") or a Blue Laser Ultra-Radioactive Action Yarn (or "Blu Ray") for the Comedy Bang Bang tv series?

Sad to hear that Affirmation Nation is done, but it was a great ride. Which brings up another question... are there any series coming or currently airing that are either intended to be a mini-series or will be ending soon?

Also, any word on a Digital Video Disc (or "DVD") or a Blue Laser Ultra-Radioactive Action Yarn (or "Blu Ray") for the Comedy Bang Bang tv series?

Yes, is sad indeed. There are no planned "series" as of now. There are a few things in the very early stages of discussion but may not happen.

Nerd Poker's longevity depends on the players availability, we'd love for it to be weekly forever. And they want that too; it's just about scheduling.

There are a few other shows that are on sort of trial periods to see how they do, but I can't really speak to that now because we still have to figure that out with the artists. It's hard to say.

I have no idea what the story is with CBB TV, I'm a producer in name only due to my involvement with the podcast!

I thought I heard on an Earwolf podcast about a year ago that Scott and Neil or Scott and Hubel were working on Mike Detective 2. Firstly, how would you rate my memory? Secondly, is there any talk of another MD?

I thought I heard on an Earwolf podcast about a year ago that Scott and Neil or Scott and Hubel were working on Mike Detective 2. Firstly, how would you rate my memory? Secondly, is there any talk of another MD?

I forgot to mention MD since I answer that question the most, sorry about that. You are correct, there was some work done on season two a long time ago with Scott and Neil, but I'm not sure they were happy with it or not. Bottom line, they want to do it but just don't have the time. So nothing planned in the near future, but I wouldn't say never. But I'm not counting on it.

• Like 1

What happened with The Apple Sisters? They seemed to return for a few monthly episodes and then stopped again.

What happened with The Apple Sisters? They seemed to return for a few monthly episodes and then stopped again.

The Apple Sisters let us know that they were going to stop doing the podcast and focus on other types of projects.