🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jeffullrich

Jeff Q&A

What is the single thing you would like to see us, as fans, doing to help support Earwolf?

Wow, okay. Well, I know this will sound "corporate" like, but I don't think anything. People tell their friends. They comment on the formus, Facebook, Twitter. Tumblr. They respond well to our sponsors. They donate. They use the Amazon affiliate links. They buy merch and our live shows for sale. I don't really have anything else to ask for. I guess you could get greedy and ask for a bit more of all that stuff, but if you have to ask, it's not going to happen anyway. So I think you guys are doing just great as it is and I'm very thankful and grateful for all the support we do get. Especially from you, sir!

• Like 7

Is there going to be more episodes of "Owen & TJ Read The News"?

Yes! It's going to come out monthly. As soon as this Thursday, not sure exactly when yet. Do you like it?

I really do, it reminds me of some of my little brother's friends, especially during football games.

Nerd Poker's longevity depends on the players availability, we'd love for it to be weekly forever. And they want that too; it's just about scheduling.

Would you possibly consider doing Nerd Poker as a monthly podcast with a slightly longer running time (1.5-2 hours) if it meant the podcast could keep on podcasting?

Also, not a question but a suggestion. If the guys on the show don't draw pictures of their characters, they/you/somebody should ask the listeners for submissions. I'm sure the results would be amazing.

• Like 1

Would you possibly consider doing Nerd Poker as a monthly podcast with a slightly longer running time (1.5-2 hours) if it meant the podcast could keep on podcasting?

Also, not a question but a suggestion. If the guys on the show don't draw pictures of their characters, they/you/somebody should ask the listeners for submissions. I'm sure the results would be amazing.

Yeah, I think we'll take NP any way we can get it. And the artwork is something we've discussed and we might do something there. Great idea!

• Like 1

1)In that email with Seth did he talk about coming back to CBB to do Ducca in the near future or is Ducca just done.

2)Do you know anything about Womp up the Jamz becoming a regular podcast or being put up on earwolf presents every once in a while.

3)Do you know anything about Analyze Phish coming back.

1)In that email with Seth did he talk about coming back to CBB to do Ducca in the near future or is Ducca just done.

2)Do you know anything about Womp up the Jamz becoming a regular podcast or being put up on earwolf presents every once in a while.

3)Do you know anything about Analyze Phish coming back.

Seth didn't mention CBB.

I think the Womptacular was a one-time thing.

No plans for new Analyze Phish eps.

How is that for 3 shitty answers?

A while ago, there were occasional references by the guests to (video) cameras recording the studio. Did anything come of that?

Hey Jeff,

I typically access the Earwolf forums and content through the iPhone Earwolf app. Is there a possibility that you could increase the ability to manage user profiles (e.g., add/change profile pictures, user information, etc.) in the app itself? I have scoured the options and can't seem to find anywhere to do this.

Thanks,

MC

A while ago, there were occasional references by the guests to (video) cameras recording the studio. Did anything come of that?

We have very haphazardly had a few not very good cameras running in the studio, but unfortunately all the time and not always with the best angles (and horrible lighting). I can't see us ever doing anything with that footage, we've had it looked at before by a video guy and the prognosis was not good. We might start doing some video podcasts soon though, as part of a separate thing, we're trying to work out the details now.

Hey Jeff,

I typically access the Earwolf forums and content through the iPhone Earwolf app. Is there a possibility that you could increase the ability to manage user profiles (e.g., add/change profile pictures, user information, etc.) in the app itself? I have scoured the options and can't seem to find anywhere to do this.

Thanks,

MC

Hi Matt,

The contractor who built the app is no longer with us and we're not investing anything more into the app for now. With all the new distribution partners we're working with who have their own apps, it's really hard to justify investing in our own. Most people seem to prefer the aggregator apps, not content provider specific apps. Sorry.

My last few answers in this forum feel like they have all been of the wah, wah, wah variety.

Jeff,

How do you like your coffee?

Nick

I have prostatitis, so I'm not supposed to have caffeine. So I was off of it for about 3 months. But I started drinking it again, which is dumb and I'll probably stop soon so I don't have to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes.

But in the meantime, I use some simple syrup, two spoons of sugar, half whole milk and half half & half.

How's that for a serious answer to your question :)

• Like 1

OK, well you asked for questions...!

Kind of an open-ended one, but... how does an Earwolf show get off the ground?

Does a comedian approach you with an idea? Or have you brainstormed a load of ideas ("Ripping on movies! Dungeons and Dragons!"), and pitch them to people you think might be interested?

Do the hosts arrange the guests? Or is that done by an Earwolf employee?

How long does it take to perfect a show - how many 'drafts' does a potential show go through?

How many shows do you like to have banked at any one time? Or do you only bank shows when you know about upcoming holidays/tours, etc?

A year or two ago I remember you saying something like Nerdist, WTF, etc wasn't your competition; your competition was TV, movies, music... Do you still feel that's the case?

Phew!

OK, well you asked for questions...!

Kind of an open-ended one, but... how does an Earwolf show get off the ground?

Does a comedian approach you with an idea? Or have you brainstormed a load of ideas ("Ripping on movies! Dungeons and Dragons!"), and pitch them to people you think might be interested?

Do the hosts arrange the guests? Or is that done by an Earwolf employee?

How long does it take to perfect a show - how many 'drafts' does a potential show go through?

How many shows do you like to have banked at any one time? Or do you only bank shows when you know about upcoming holidays/tours, etc?

A year or two ago I remember you saying something like Nerdist, WTF, etc wasn't your competition; your competition was TV, movies, music... Do you still feel that's the case?

Phew!

Re Getting off the ground, for the most part, people approach us. There are definitely shows that's we'd like to do conceptually, but podcasting is so personal, the passion really has to come from the artists. It's really hard to have a great show that wasn't originally the idea of the artist.

Re Guests, the hosts book all their own guests for now. We're working on having Julia help with booking in 2013, but we're not sure how that will work. Everyone could use some help, no one needs it done for them completely.

Re Perfecting a show, that all depends. Some shows go through a 4-6 episode pilot process, some are good on the first try. We have a certain style and structure about all the shows we do and it's usually just working with the artists to hit those notes before releasing. Some are recorded as pilots and then not picked up as a regular show.

Re Banking shows, it depends on the show. I'd love to have every show bank at least one at all times in case of emergency, but that rarely happens. Usually the hosts just manage their own schedules and release needs and make sure there is always a show to go out at the regularly scheduled time.

Re Competition, that is definitely still the case. We're all busting our humps to add one new listener at a time and then that new listener is way more likely to try another podcast, Earwolf or otherwise.

Thanks for the great questions!

Hi Matt,

The contractor who built the app is no longer with us and we're not investing anything more into the app for now. With all the new distribution partners we're working with who have their own apps, it's really hard to justify investing in our own. Most people seem to prefer the aggregator apps, not content provider specific apps. Sorry.

My last few answers in this forum feel like they have all been of the wah, wah, wah variety.

No worries. Thanks, Jeff. Loving all the new programming by the way.

How is that for 3 shitty answers?

Don't feel bad if that is the only answers you have, If that is all you know then I am fine with that.

Anyway, how did James Adomian's stand up album come about. Do you have any plans for any other stand up albums in the near future. I know Howard Kremer said he was saying he planed on putting out a stand up album, but I don't know if he already has someone producing it or if you are even thinking about doing another one. Thanks for you time.

Don't feel bad if that is the only answers you have, If that is all you know then I am fine with that.

Anyway, how did James Adomian's stand up album come about. Do you have any plans for any other stand up albums in the near future. I know Howard Kremer said he was saying he planed on putting out a stand up album, but I don't know if he already has someone producing it or if you are even thinking about doing another one. Thanks for you time.

To be honest, we don't really know how successful James' album was since we've never done one before. But with our limited knowledge, it seems to be doing well.

We'll do more if the right opportunity comes up, we aren't searching them out, but if someone approaches us, we'll consider it. Howard works with a bunch of people so I'm not sure what he has planned, I haven't discussed it with him.

To be honest, we don't really know how successful James' album was since we've never done one before. But with our limited knowledge, it seems to be doing well.

We'll do more if the right opportunity comes up, we aren't searching them out, but if someone approaches us, we'll consider it. Howard works with a bunch of people so I'm not sure what he has planned, I haven't discussed it with him.

That is basically what I figured thanks.

Now the last question I can think of is how did the Cyber Thug special do sales wise. Did it do well enough that you think more Cyber Thug episodes could be made for the earwolf store.

That is basically what I figured thanks.

Now the last question I can think of is how did the Cyber Thug special do sales wise. Did it do well enough that you think more Cyber Thug episodes could be made for the earwolf store.

I'd have to check the exact numbers, but I think we maybe made $100. Not really worth the effort, financially. That said, if those guys wanted to do another, I'd be happy to. Everything we do creatively is evaluated on its own merit. We don't mind losing some money (or making very little) to make great content. But I haven't heard from Jerry in a while, I know he's busy.

• Like 1

I feel my question is already answered by the existence of this thread but here i go.

How important do you feel transparency is to creating a successful website that specializes in content generation/delivery?

Why is Gelmania released so erratically? I realize the answer is often scheduling and the amount of production and writing it require that other shows don't. But I'd have thought it would make more sense to release it monthly rather than having huge breaks and then releasing it weekly, but only for about 4 weeks before it goes into another break.