🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jeffullrich

Jeff Q&A

Why is Gelmania released so erratically?

I can't think of a better word to describe Brett Gelman's body of work than "erratic".

I feel my question is already answered by the existence of this thread but here i go.

How important do you feel transparency is to creating a successful website that specializes in content generation/delivery?

I'm a big believer in transparency. Everything you do is marketing. Sincerity and honesty are the best forms of marketing. Especially in the business of podcasting. You guys are very understanding about what we are going through and what we are trying to do...even when we screw up. Especially when we screw up. As long as you are communicated to about it.

The reason I started this thread is because 1) I haven't done the Wolf Den in a year and that was a great source of information about what was going on. And 2) is that I found myself telling lots of people lots of things about how Earwolf works but that wasn't always getting to our fans. Personal conversations and being a guest on podcasts that not many people listen to wasn't really scaling. So I thought this might be a good idea.

I'm very proud of what we do and how we do it, so I don't fear a backlash from upping the transparency. And even if I do something that people don't like, I'd rather explain why or hear the concern so I can consider the validity of it rather than creating a situation where it's easy to judge without the facts.

One last thing is that I'm much better at answering questions than I am at making up topics to write about. So this helps with that too.

Hopefully this thread helps improve the understanding of why we make some of the decisions we make. Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

Why is Gelmania released so erratically? I realize the answer is often scheduling and the amount of production and writing it require that other shows don't. But I'd have thought it would make more sense to release it monthly rather than having huge breaks and then releasing it weekly, but only for about 4 weeks before it goes into another break.

Brett is really busy and he and Cyrus do their magic outside of the Earwolf studios and send things in when they have them. Sometimes that is more regular than other times, but they do what they can and it works well for everyone.

Dear Jeff,

Have you considered doing Ask Jeff as a podcast? Because; (1) The world could do with more of your dulcet tones, (2) I miss hearing you talk about the ins and outs of running Earwolf since Wolf Den has been on hiatus, (3) you might feel more like expanding on some answers if you didn't have to do all this pesky typing, (4) typing can lead to conditions such as RSI and spontaneous combustion and (5) I've never learned to read.

Peeps could post questions here or do them in audio form by emailing you mp3s or using a call-in line.

You're welcome.

Love, Bucho

• Like 3

Dear Jeff,

Is it gauche to "like" one's own posts on the Earwolf forum?

Love, Bucho

• Like 3

Can't help but tease...from our Twitter and Facebook:

"Just finalized an agreement with a new podcast. This is going to be big and unexpected. First ep is likely to launch on 1/10. More to come."

Sorry, I can't say more right now!

• Like 3

Dear Jeff,

Is it gauche to "like" one's own posts on the Earwolf forum?

Love, Bucho

I've always been tempted to like my own post just to see if it would work but I didn't want to look like a huge narcissist if it did. So thanks for showing me you can.

Sorry this isn't a question Jeff. I hope you're not mad.

• Like 2

Dear Jeff,

Have you considered doing Ask Jeff as a podcast? Because; (1) The world could do with more of your dulcet tones, (2) I miss hearing you talk about the ins and outs of running Earwolf since Wolf Den has been on hiatus, (3) you might feel more like expanding on some answers if you didn't have to do all this pesky typing, (4) typing can lead to conditions such as RSI and spontaneous combustion and (5) I've never learned to read.

Peeps could post questions here or do them in audio form by emailing you mp3s or using a call-in line.

You're welcome.

Love, Bucho

That's a good idea. Let me think about it!

• Like 1

What would you say would be the best way to ge the word out to IFC that they need to renew CBB for a second season? I e-mailed them a few times, but I've heard mailing actual physical letters is the best way to get your voice heard...

What would you say would be the best way to ge the word out to IFC that they need to renew CBB for a second season? I e-mailed them a few times, but I've heard mailing actual physical letters is the best way to get your voice heard...

You know what, that's a great question. I have no idea. I should look into that.

Do you know who the guests will be for the Vancouver CBB show?

Do you know who the guests will be for the Vancouver CBB show?

They haven't been booked yet, so no one knows!

Jeff -

Wouldn't you think that, to add variety to your podcast collection, have a podcast that's focused on real comedians commenting and going in depth on user-submitted jokes or premises? I figure that there's a lot of 'comedy nerds' who listen to your podcasts religiously - and from looking at the highly active Comedy Bang Bang catchphrase submission forum, some of your listeners want to be funny. There can be a podcast where there could be a willing host or a random panel of comedians (2 or 3) reading this stuff of the forums (could be a new ep every 2 weeks so there'd be time to get some good and bad submissions) and commenting on it, giving tips, discussing their methodology with all the comedy terms that nerds get wet over. Also, it would promote user involvement in the forums.

I don't know if I got the idea I have out to you well enough - but if you do think it's a good idea then let me know. If it comes to fruition I can help out.

Thanks.

Nick

• Like 2

I just want to say that nick's idea would be awesome.. Or if not a podcast, maybe a blog, similar to Jake Kroeger's weekly blog of Nerdist.com where he accepts fan submissions for comedy videos and makes a list of the top 5 funniest videos of the week. I think a blog or podcast where professional comedians discuss fan submitted material (standup sets, comedy sketch videos, etc) would do really well. Especially, like Nick said, considering the insane amount of submissions there already are every week for the comedy bang bang catchphrases.

I thought Jeff wasn't able to look at listener submitted ideas for podcast in case he is making one about that already then he reads that idea and has to stop because it looks like he is stealing the idea.

I love improv and conversational podcasts, but are there any plans for more scripted podcasts in the near future? I loved Mike Detective and Affirmation Nation and would love to see something scripted again. (also, if someone asked this already, sorry for the repetition).

• Like 1

I would love for the front page to be customizable, or maybe changed now that the roster of podcasts is deeper.

Sometimes I'll go to the site on say a Friday looking to listen to or just find info on the new Two Charted or Sklarbro Country but they won't be one of the 3 comedy podcasts shown to me on the front site. That is something I don't think has to be that way. I guess on some level you guys like the fact that I have to click shows and scroll and click on it and then click again on the most recent episode, just in terms of adverts/analystics, but as the customer/consumer I must say I would prefer to just get to the content I want quicker/in less clicks.

I guess this isn't a question so much as a possibly constructive critique.

• Like 1

This one is kind of random, but is there any chance Jon Benjamin might be coming on Comedy Bang Bang any time soon? He was the first guest on Aisha Tyler's podcast and it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life!

• Like 1

I just want to say that nick's idea would be awesome.. Or if not a podcast, maybe a blog, similar to Jake Kroeger's weekly blog of Nerdist.com where he accepts fan submissions for comedy videos and makes a list of the top 5 funniest videos of the week. I think a blog or podcast where professional comedians discuss fan submitted material (standup sets, comedy sketch videos, etc) would do really well. Especially, like Nick said, considering the insane amount of submissions there already are every week for the comedy bang bang catchphrases.

I think Nick's idea would be awesome too and Matt Besser should be the host. Because, speaking of awesome, he was awesome as host of The Earwolf Challenge. My favourite part of that show was hearing his expert understanding of comedy and performance awesomely applied to the entries submitted by the contestants.

• Like 3

I noticed IFC is still doing adds on earwolf so in your opinion is that a good sign of CBB getting a second season.

• Like 2

I noticed IFC is still doing adds on earwolf so in your opinion is that a good sign of CBB getting a second season.

Hey Pongo, I'm in Rolling Meadows, Illinois right now. Where are you?

The advertising for IFC has nothing to do with creative. I know they were really happy with how we handled the CBB TV campaign and I think this is a reflection of that, rather than a signal regarding the a second season. Thanks. And happy new year to all!

Hey Pongo, I'm in Rolling Meadows, Illinois right now. Where are you?

Wadsworth so not that far, why I assume you are visiting family for the holidays right now.

Wadsworth so not that far, why I assume you are visiting family for the holidays right now.

Yes sir.

Are there any stats on what podcasts get downloaded where, how much etc. and can the stats be made public?