🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jeffullrich

Jeff Q&A

Maybe we should start some sort of e-mailing campaign to let IFC how much it would mean to us for them to renew CBB for a 2nd season: ifcfeedback@ifc.com

Email might not mean too much to them, but I think it couldn't hurt...

Jeff - Wouldn't you think that, to add variety to your podcast collection, have a podcast that's focused on real comedians commenting and going in depth on user-submitted jokes or premises? I figure that there's a lot of 'comedy nerds' who listen to your podcasts religiously - and from looking at the highly active Comedy Bang Bang catchphrase submission forum, some of your listeners want to be funny. There can be a podcast where there could be a willing host or a random panel of comedians (2 or 3) reading this stuff of the forums (could be a new ep every 2 weeks so there'd be time to get some good and bad submissions) and commenting on it, giving tips, discussing their methodology with all the comedy terms that nerds get wet over. Also, it would promote user involvement in the forums. I don't know if I got the idea I have out to you well enough - but if you do think it's a good idea then let me know. If it comes to fruition I can help out. Thanks. Nick

Thanks Nick. Sorry, I've been out of town.

This is a good idea! The problem is that we rarely, if ever, approach comedians about doing an idea (that is basically casting). It's so hard to do all the work that comes with a podcast that unless the comedians own it, it's hard to get them excited about it and thus keep up with the required pace.

However, if anyone approaches us and is looking for show ideas, I'll be happy to steal your idea (with your permission) and mention it. Thanks!

I thought Jeff wasn't able to look at listener submitted ideas for podcast in case he is making one about that already then he reads that idea and has to stop because it looks like he is stealing the idea.

This is true.

This one is kind of random, but is there any chance Jon Benjamin might be coming on Comedy Bang Bang any time soon? He was the first guest on Aisha Tyler's podcast and it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life!

Scott mostly does his own bookings and I have no idea if this is going to happen or not. I do know that Jon will be on another podcast soon (not Earwolf) but I'm not at liberty to mention since it's not ours. But keep your eyes peeled!

I love improv and conversational podcasts, but are there any plans for more scripted podcasts in the near future? I loved Mike Detective and Affirmation Nation and would love to see something scripted again. (also, if someone asked this already, sorry for the repetition).

I love scripted shows too, but nothing is in the works. Writers tend to be busier than performers and the workload associated with scripted is much greater. But we're always on the lookout.

I would love for the front page to be customizable, or maybe changed now that the roster of podcasts is deeper. Sometimes I'll go to the site on say a Friday looking to listen to or just find info on the new Two Charted or Sklarbro Country but they won't be one of the 3 comedy podcasts shown to me on the front site. That is something I don't think has to be that way. I guess on some level you guys like the fact that I have to click shows and scroll and click on it and then click again on the most recent episode, just in terms of adverts/analystics, but as the customer/consumer I must say I would prefer to just get to the content I want quicker/in less clicks. I guess this isn't a question so much as a possibly constructive critique.

Our homepage doesn't work well right now. We have to address it soon (but we've been really busy with other stuff). The way it works though is that every new show is on the homepage, but the biggest shows on in the featured slider instead of the list below. So check that out. We aren't trying to get anyone to make extra clicks, it just doesn't work they way we thought when we made the change and have to change it again. Thanks for the question!

I think Nick's idea would be awesome too and Matt Besser should be the host. Because, speaking of awesome, he was awesome as host of The Earwolf Challenge. My favourite part of that show was hearing his expert understanding of comedy and performance awesomely applied to the entries submitted by the contestants.

That was a great show, unfortunately not very popular and the most amount of work we've ever done on a show. Not a sustainable combination.

Are there any stats on what podcasts get downloaded where, how much etc. and can the stats be made public?

My policy is to share Earwolf info, but not show info. I feel like that is up to the hosts to do or not do at their discretion. Earwolf had a total of all shows, archives and new shows, of 4.6 million downloads in November.

• Like 2

Maybe we should start some sort of e-mailing campaign to let IFC how much it would mean to us for them to renew CBB for a 2nd season: ifcfeedback@ifc.com Email might not mean too much to them, but I think it couldn't hurt...

That's a great idea!

Earwolf had a total of all shows, archives and new shows, of 4.6 million downloads in November.

Wow, that's really impressive!

• Like 1

Wow, that's really impressive!

Pretty exciting! That's up from 1.85 million in Nov 2011.

• Like 1

Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere, but is there a plan to release the songs from Short-Wave on iTunes, much like THE VOICE does for their songs each week? Thanks.

• Like 1

Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere, but is there a plan to release the songs from Short-Wave on iTunes, much like THE VOICE does for their songs each week? Thanks.

Hi Lukas!

Unfortunately, for one, we only have the podcast rights and thus can only release them as they are now as part of the show. Second, Shortwave will not be continuing as a show. Grant doesn't have the time to continue and the last show we released will be the final one. He's not going to do it elsewhere, he just can't do it at all. Which is too bad but we understand. We should probably make some sort of announcement about that I guess.

Is that the orange peel in your mouth like when Don Corleone has the heart attack in the first prequel to "The Godfather, Part III"?

That is such a stupid picture. It's a piece of pineapple. I don't take many pics and when I needed one for here and a few other places, it was the only one I had :)

Oh, and for a real, but boring question: Miiiii Wiiiiiife organizes Cons in Texas. What would it take to get an Earwolf Podcast as a guest at a Con?

I'm sad to admit this, but I have no idea what you are talking about!

Hi Lukas!

Unfortunately, for one, we only have the podcast rights and thus can only release them as they are now as part of the show. Second, Shortwave will not be continuing as a show. Grant doesn't have the time to continue and the last show we released will be the final one. He's not going to do it elsewhere, he just can't do it at all. Which is too bad but we understand. We should probably make some sort of announcement about that I guess.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I'll just have to content myself with the 70 other shows you have.

• Like 3

I'm sad to admit this, but I have no idea what you are talking about!

Oh, she just organizes a couple of ComicCon and Anime Conventions. They are only a few thousand people right now, but she is looking to organize something larger. I was just wondering what it might take to have one of the podcasts as guests of the convention. (This is simply a "what if..." for the future.)

Oh, she just organizes a couple of ComicCon and Anime Conventions. They are only a few thousand people right now, but she is looking to organize something larger. I was just wondering what it might take to have one of the podcasts as guests of the convention. (This is simply a "what if..." for the future.)

Oh, I see. I would say when the time comes to email Julia. She'd be the one to work on that. julia at earwolf dot com.

Jeff,

This is a great idea for a topic. I've enjoyed reading all your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to answer the questions. I'm running out the door so will probably have more questions later, but in the meantime, can you give us any more information about the new show airing on Jan. 10? Maybe just a clue? I am very intrigued.

Thanks,

Bundi

Jeff,

This is a great idea for a topic. I've enjoyed reading all your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to answer the questions. I'm running out the door so will probably have more questions later, but in the meantime, can you give us any more information about the new show airing on Jan. 10? Maybe just a clue? I am very intrigued.

Thanks,

Bundi

Not yet, sorry. It won't be long yet though!

Thanks for all the kind words!

How about a lighter style question: is there anything coming up that you can talk about? Give us a forum exclusive!

• Like 1

I think the Analyze Phish episodes need their own playlist from the podcast drop-down menu rather than being hidden amongst all the other 'Earwolf Presents' specials, so they can be easier to find...