🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This off-Broadway musical movie has it all...

1. 80's hair metal songs

2. Love stories and strip clubs

3. Cameos from band members of said songs

4. Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxxx

I'm leaving it at that.

I have walked out of two movies in my life, and this was one of them. It was putrid.

• Like 3

this movie is CRAAAAAAAAAAAZY

great suggestion.

tumblr_mb4utqD3KI1qbc06uo1_500.gif

• Like 1

This movie is a great choice because I think Tom Cruise is actually excellent as Stacee Jaxxx and Alec Bladwin is a lot of fun as Old Drunk Club Owner Guy, but the movie itself is still FUCKING AWFUL. I also think it's interesting because it was this successful stage show that did work, was all Disney-fied and Hollywood-ized, then turned into something that didn't work. Do it.

Sean, I need to know what that other movie was.

Wagon's East. I was so depressed that it was John Candy's last movie I just wandered out into the lobby and never returned.

With this movie, I turned to the person who had gone with me during the weird Tom Cruise/Malin Ackerman sex scene, and we simultaneously said to each other, 'Do you want to go?'

Speaking of, given that Malin has appeared in both Burning Love and Children's Hospital, this one may be off limits.

• Like 2

I have walked out of two movies in my life, and this was one of them. It was putrid.

I could see this movie happening. only problem with them doing this movie is we would have to watch it again.

not that I am saying I made it to the end of this film, so technology I haven't watch it.

I think it might be interesting to talk about the alternate universe that this thing must take place in. I only saw bits and pieces of this at my theater and couldn't make it through more than five straight minutes of it on TV, so I could be missing something, but are we to believe that all of the songs being performed by Stacee Jaxx or anyone else are theirs or at least didn't previously exist in that world, even though in our reality, we know they were performed by Journey, Poison, or whoever? I ask because I saw scenes in record stores and other places where you see these albums and posters and stuff featuring these other bands, some of which wouldn't have the notoriety they had if those key songs were MISSING. Granted, a lot of the bands that were around at the time or at least part of the glam rock/hair metal scene weren't one-hit wonders, they'd either had more hits before or after, but in some cases, the songs featured that are no longer theirs were the only reason we knew they existed, making those bands and maybe not even the scene itself NOT a big deal on whatever crazy earth "Rock of Ages" takes place on.

Also, hearing the songs in the credits, minus the visuals, makes me believe even MORE that this is some stupid, stupid shit.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of filmed musicals, especially contemporary ones; I'll admit this is a blind spot on my pop culture radar (sorry, Baz). So this movie totally passed me by for very clear reasons. HDTGM does seem to love their musicals, though, so who knows. It's been a while since the last one -- did Spicegate change things forever? At any rate, the IMDB reviews for this are wonderful:

I'm 60, I want to have some fun, and this movie was fun. It put me right in the Bourbon Room audience, blithely wearing the tasteless and bizarre outfits that I couldn't wear because I was setting a standard of decorum for my kids in those days, and embarrassing them was anathema. It features a period of Rock (1987) when the genre was flanked by inane crap "music" aimed at the 13-16 year olds I was raising. Fortunately they didn't bite. This movie features the memorable music of the decade that my grandson is now still honoring. This music and that of the late 60's and early 70's helped me as a beleaguered working mom "Rock" through a day of commutes, housework, and culture shock

I truly wonder what the inane crap music is that she refers to, because that's what the songs in this movie seem to be -- the worst of the 80s pop/metal junk.

This was one of the best worst movies I've ever seen. Tom Cruise as a sexy rocker?! Yes please!! Also, the beginning reminded me of another HDTGM movie - Burlesque! Please please do this movie!!

im sitting here watching this horrendous film called Rock Of Ages..it stars with a very familiar face named Tom Cruise as a 'Rock' star..and Alec Baldwin with beautiful long brown hair..there is 80's songs..and lots of WTF moments..please consider this movie..i would love you forever..

If they ever do this movie they HAVE to get Chris Hardwick back on since he originated the Tom Cruise roll.