🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 15 — Late 70's TV

Colbert Report writer and Jake’s old friend Eric Drysdale stops by to look at the glamorous world of late 70’s television on today’s episode of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Eric tells us about The Daryl Hall and John Oates Mumbo Jumbo Hour show which he produced in New York, how he got his first writing job for a Canadian late night comedy show, and his Rubik’s Cube novelty song as Crazy Davis. Jake and Eric discuss late 70’s television by looking at a couple of clips which include; The Carpenters in space, the Get High On Yourself anti-drug TV special, and the WPIX Yule Log. Make sure to go leave reviews for any of the reviews in “The Fogelnest Files” section on iTunes. Don’t forget to get your tickets for The Twitter IRL taping of THE FOGELNEST FILES with Megan Amram and Danny Zuker, December 27th at UCB-LA!

It's easy to forget that the Carpenters biggest hits were during a time when some of the best punk and hard rock records were coming out. The Carpenters always felt like a very skillful throwback to an old-timey notion of what show business is.

In interviews they would talk about their career in a rather old-school way that gave you the impression they thought of themselves as Entertainers (with a capital E). Being an Entertainer means accepting a serious responsibility. You have to be ready at any moment to cobble together a one hour special for the networks, to slide down a gold-plated fire pole and make something happen-- be that guesting on The Love Boat

or jumping over a shallow puddle in very tight shorts for Battle of the Network Stars.

I think that's why the Carpenters specials make so much sense. Of course, they would be paired with Charlie Callas for extreme mugging resulting in canned laughter. Of course, they would be talking to aliens who look a lot like a That's Incredible host and one third of Three's Company. That's what an Entertainer does.

PS: Also, as everyone knows, muscle rock is a horse in transition.

• Like 1

In recent years, Major World Auto has been doing their best to keep the Crazy Eddie style of commercials alive. Their commercials are mostly on the radio. Each time they scream "IT'S MAJOR WORLD!!!" at you, you're sure that it couldn't possibly get louder. But I assure you that it does.

How did I just find out that The Carpenters covered Klaatu?

John Mikl Thor! Fuck yeah!

Not only was he a bodybuilder, rocker and actor (a must see is Zombie Nightmare with Adam West and Tia Carrere), he had his own comic book he created...utter shit.

Hell, when he was scoring Zombie Nightmare, it was called the Thorkestra!

Triuly an awesome clip!

The show kicks so much ass, Jake!

My favorite part of the Thor clip was how he said "strength feat" rather than "feat of strength".

• Like 1

Just a heads up, the next live show at UCB in Los Angeles is Thursday, December 27th. As previously mentioned, Megan Amram and Danny Zuker will be on the show, but I just added Billy Eichner!

TICKETS!!!

Is it weird that I can't remember earwolf without Jake, he just seems so ingrained into earwolf that couldn't imagine it without him.

• Like 1

Nice use of the word munch, and I hear that song Thor sang every Tuesday night. This was a great episode you dip.

Sign in to follow this