🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This Brian De Palma classic musical from 1974 stars singer Paul Williams, some dude who's never been heard of again called William Finley, the grindhouse scream queen Jessica Harper, and the guy who played the only member of the race "The Q" from Star Trek with a unique name (in real life he's known as Gerrit Graham).

De Palma wrote and directed (songs by Williams) this just a couple years before tackling his adaptation of Stephen King's "Carrie" and about a decade before his best know masterpiece "Scarface".

This movie couldn't be more different than either of those two. Shot in a manner that resembles an art school film project with excessive wide angle lenses, cartoonish overacting, and set pieces that look like rejects from Tim Burton's Pee-Wee years.

I love this movie, a friend and I have a tradition of watching it at the stroke of midnight on New Year's day. The plot is a coked out, disco-esque adaptation of "Phantom of the Opera".

Singer/songwriter Winslow Leach is thrown in prison after a series of misadventures trying to get credit for his original pieces are stolen by the mysterious record producer Swan. After hearing his music butchered by the pop group The Juicy Fruits who've turned his beautiful "Faust" inspired contata into a Beach Boys styled jam, Leach escapes prison and vows vengeance on Swan and any who dares touch his music.

This movie is available to stream on Amazon: $2.99 gets you a rental, $9.99 lets you own this cinematic diamond. http://www.amazon.co...-amazonvideo-20

I like this pitch so much, I think I might make it my review on Amazon...

This movie will change your life.

Like a born again Christian, I am begging you to save your souls by watching this movie.

The trailer does not do it justice.

This movie makes me like all the prime numbers...

...I can't even.

• Like 1

I remember this being on cable tv on a endless loop in the early 80s days of Canadian Pay tv. I still don't think I've ever watch Phantom of the Paradise from beginning to end, in one sitting. it's bad, bad. like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" another winner. but just as painful to watch. what a great drive in movie trio that would be.

Having spent the week discussing this in the Musical Mondays thread, I add my vote that this awesome movie would be perfect for the podcast proper. It's insane, it's terrible, it's brilliant, usually all at once.

• Like 4

I love this movie, and the soundtrack is fantastic. I think the gang would have a lot of fun with it.

William Finley was in a lot of De Palma's films, and he's just lovely in all of them.

• Like 2

I watched the 2-minute, 10-second trailer. It seemed like a feature-length film. Would the full film feel like an eternity? I think this is a solid recommendation for the gang.

• Like 2

I watched the 2-minute, 10-second trailer. It seemed like a feature-length film. Would the full film feel like an eternity? I think this is a solid recommendation for the gang.

In my opinion, the first 30 minutes are a bit slow, but once it gets going it's a lot of fun.

• Like 2

In my opinion, the first 30 minutes are a bit slow, but once it gets going it's a lot of fun.

I'm sold. I was just surprised by the trailer. At one point, I had to look at the progress bar to see how much time was left, only to find that I was less than halfway through!

• Like 2

I'm sold. I was just surprised by the trailer. At one point, I had to look at the progress bar to see how much time was left, only to find that I was less than halfway through!

I strongly suggest you check out the Musical Mondays thread on 'Phantom of the Paradise' once you've seen it - we had the official 'Phantom' historian drop in to the thread to give us the inside scoop. It's an insane, awesome, ridiculous movie. I loved it.

• Like 2

The opening 30 which are like a cartoon in how quick everything devolves for the main character and the final 30 when the Paradise is open make this movie a prime candidate for an episode.

This movie looks BONKERS with elements of Rocky Horror, Tommy and The Apple mixed into one. lol

This movie looks BONKERS with elements of Rocky Horror, Tommy and The Apple mixed into one. lol

Very much so. I knew about it from my Amazon recommends section but thought it was a full on horror film given the cover of the Blu Ray release. I didn't realize De Palma directed it until I rented it last night and it's insane to see this and realize the same guy would make movies like Scarface and The Untouchables.

• Like 1

I remember this being on cable tv on a endless loop in the early 80s days of Canadian Pay tv. I still don't think I've ever watch Phantom of the Paradise from beginning to end, in one sitting. it's bad, bad. like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" another winner. but just as painful to watch. what a great drive in movie trio that would be.

I watched a YouTube video review on this film and the reviewer said this film had quite a following in Canada (specifically in Winnepeg). I thought he was exaggerating, but then I found this.

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/movies/winnipeg-were-you-right-all-along-about-phantom-film/

Man, they have to do this movie at some point! I remember watching a TV recording of this my parents had when I was a kid. I have the original soundtrack vinyl and still listen to it. So good, so crazy. The Somebody Super Like You scene with the band forming Beef out of audience members dismembered bodies is amazing!