🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
robsbrother

Mindhunters (2004)

"For seven elite profilers, finding a serial killer is a process of elimination. Their own."

Renny Harlin (Cutthroat Island) directs Christian Slater, Val Kilmer and LL Cool J as FBI profilers stalked by a serial killer at a remote training facility. Shot in 2003 on a $27 million budget released May 2005 to just under $2 million it's first weekend. Acid laced cigarettes, extended underwater gunfight, dominoes.

• Like 4

This is another guilty pleasure that I own (along with Super Mario Bros., Sleepaway Camp, and Judge Dredd) that for some reason I find entertaining. It is an interesting enough premise where profilers are trying to read each other to see who is a killer and the deaths are interesting and new for a whodunnit horror movie, but this thing is weighed down by the cheese factor that Slater, Kilmer, and J bring to the movie.

And this movie further pushes the idea that LL Cool J must have a clause in his contracts that states that he can't die in movies, outside of Rollerball (another movie that should be done on the show). He has survived being bitten by giant smart-sharks, shot in the head, and in this movie he apparently has his neck broken by falling onto steel steps, only to get up and save the day at the last minute and give a cheesy one liner: "Now we know what his weakness is, bullets."

Christian Slater and Val Kilmer fall into the category of stars who have crap movies but fall under that heavy shadow cast by Cage, Pacino, and Stallone.

• Like 2

I'll admit: I loved this movie but yes, it is pretty bad! the idea is good and could have been executed way better. only 25% on RT. its an excellent contender.

4 words: Val Kilmer, human marionette.

• Like 1

4 more words: Christian Slater, human popsicle.

• Like 1

I have been hosting a movie night at my house, that has been mostly on a weekly basis, for over a decade. Often this is done as a triple feature with some kind of theme or relation between the films. One of my favorites was in 2008 and titled LL Cool Day. We watched Toys, Deep Blue Sea, and Mindhunters, while snacking on LL Cool Ranch Doritos (Cool Ranch Doritos) and LL Cool Aid (Sangria). You guys have now done two of the three films from that night. I would love if you did Mindhunters to officially close it out. Not just for my sake. I also feel it is a perfect choice for HDTGM. Please consider.

Mindhunters, 2004 "For Seven Elite FBI profilers, finding a serial killer is a process of elimination. Their own."

Like many of Renny Harlin's projects, Mindhunters is a movie that seems to have been made as thin pretense for two people to put on before some *furious* finger-banging on a futon.

Visually fun, logically incomprehensible.

With Val Kilmer as a lead, we are guaranteed colorful anecdotes of petulant and bonkers star behavior.

So let's do it!

I remember seeing a trailer before another movie for this a couple years before it was released, must have been bumped. I thought it was interesting and then forgot about it until I saw a tv ad years later and had a weird deja vu moment where I thought it was all a dream or similar film, but it turns out it was the same film.

Separate from all that I haven't seen it in a few years but I have seen it a couple times and enjoyed it both times. I know its not a good movie, but it is certainly enjoyable and delivers what it intends to. Think its too "good" to be on HDTGM but the marionette scene certainly qualifies.

It is available on Hoopla, the library app, which proves that it is a piece of worthwhile cinematic art.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 6:17 AM, CNU2007 said:

I remember seeing a trailer before another movie for this a couple years before it was released, must have been bumped. I thought it was interesting and then forgot about it until I saw a tv ad years later and had a weird deja vu moment where I thought it was all a dream or similar film, but it turns out it was the same film.

Separate from all that I haven't seen it in a few years but I have seen it a couple times and enjoyed it both times. I know its not a good movie, but it is certainly enjoyable and delivers what it intends to. Think its too "good" to be on HDTGM but the marionette scene certainly qualifies.

It is available on Hoopla, the library app, which proves that it is a piece of worthwhile cinematic art.

Haha, sweet! I know what I’m watching this weekend!

• Like 1

The cast of this movie is a trip. Zero Cool from Hackers, evil mummy lady from the Fraser Mummy movies, the super pale detective from Cold Case, Pinocchio, and my hat is a like a sharkfin lyricist LL Cool J are all on board. 

Its even more hilarious that the "senior" actors on the film were Val Kilmer and Christian Slater who at that point in their careers had firmly established themselves as lunatics. 

• Like 1

I love this dumb movie. Used to make cup noodles and watch it almost every afternoon when it premiered on Encore or Starz or whatever. I think they'd have fun with it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this