🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 86 — Conspiracies

Do you believe in conspiracy theories? The one and only Janeane Garofalo joins Tig, Kyle, David, and Aaron to discuss the moon landing, why she disconnected from the internet in 2004, the theories surrounding 9/11, the Flat Earth Society, and the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Janeane also shares how Paula Poundstone inspired her, being grateful for the spade of luck & opportunity she has had in her career, and the many tangents of the lovable Dave Hill. Don’t sleep on this episode Blastronauts!

Good episode. Aaron has really come out of his shell in these NY episodes.

The flat Earth clip was hilarious. Under that guy's 'gravity' explanation, Earth would be 'rising' at the speed of light in a little under a year.

I remember, especially in the early episodes, there was a contingent who liked to complain that Tig, Dave, and Kyle would talk over their guests. Like some guest would be trying to say something profound, and then Kyle would bust out an irrelevant "swamp rock!" just for a laugh.

I feel like this episode is like a bizarro version of those episodes. So many times Kyle would try to break in with something hilarious, or Tig would try to mutter something hilarious, and Janeane would talk blindly over them with her commentary. I'd be frustrated, "But Janeane, they are funny! Let them digress from the subject matter!"

• Like 8

I really liked what Janeane added to the podcast. I think she brought some great thoughts and points. Also, I think she and Tig have a really nice chemistry. I'd love to see her back...or better yet, as a cohost.

• Like 1

I remember, especially in the early episodes, there was a contingent who liked to complain that Tig, Dave, and Kyle would talk over their guests. Like some guest would be trying to say something profound, and then Kyle would bust out an irrelevant "swamp rock!" just for a laugh.

I feel like this episode is like a bizarro version of those episodes. So many times Kyle would try to break in with something hilarious, or Tig would try to mutter something hilarious, and Janeane would talk blindly over them with her commentary. I'd be frustrated, "But Janeane, they are funny! Let them digress from the subject matter!"

I thought the same thing, though it did get better, specifically when Janine went along with Kyle's "it calms her heart" character and made him her dad. I still enjoyed the episode and Janine, though, but it was a little more intense than usual.

But the good thing about Janine not being online is that we can say anything we want about her and she'll never know. Like that she has a necklace made of babies' toes.

• Like 3

Favorite part goes to Kyle with his soft-spoken "Literally" during the second "dogs in space" mention.

Couldn't make it through this one... is there a way to mute the guest? It would be great if there was an ongoing conversation with the invisible angry lady in the room... maybe a recurring character in the hatch. Sorry, look forward to the next!!

I loved the idea of all the hosts wearing matching "grandpa sweaters"! We must make this happen!

One thing that came to my mind a lot during this episode was the use of the word "fact". As a scientist I used to be very sure of what a fact was. The older I get, the more I wonder. Yesterday's facts are today's quaint old-fashioned, wrong-headed notions. In our fractured society where even "science" becomes "political" folks don't agree on many facts anymore.

Maybe this would be a good topic for a future show.

I love Kyle's "Carl" character aka Janeane's father. Check out his videos on youtube. Just search on Kyle Dunnigan and subscribe to his channel.

David did a great diplomatic job of moving the discussion forward at a couple of points.

I agree that Aaron is fitting in so well. He really is a co-host. It is not easy to lay back and then jump in without seeming awkward.

And I have to say how much I love all the gang down in the hatch. And all the Blastronauts!

Welp, that's been comment.

• Like 1

I'm not a Janeane fan (historically) but I thought this was great. I agree that it might have gone more smoothly had she understood the format a little more (can't blame her for that since she has sworn off technology) but I thought her point of separating the two aspects of conspiracy theories, free and critical thinking versus crazy, was interesting. I think the problem is you can't specify that without invalidating the idea of it.

• Like 1

I agree with some of the previous posters. I've always enjoyed Janeane's humor but this felt less like a discussion about conspiracies and more like a Janeane Garofalo commentary. Which is fine, I listen to this podcast to be entertained and I was. But I was expecting more conspiracy talk along the lines of a Coast to Coast discussion (but funnier of course), in which a conspiracy topic is brought up and the crew humorously unpacks and pokes at it.

• Like 2

I feel like you missed an opportunity to discuss the truth about cats and dogs and possibly the truth about "The Truth About Cats and Dogs."

• Like 2

The pure joy in Janeane's voice when she realized Kyle was Reno's 'Craig,' made this entire podcast for me. I miss Janeane on the radio from back in her Majority Report days. She undersells herself too much. She's funny, albeit a bit serious from time to time...but still, she's always been funny.

I seriously love Professor B these days and have started RE-listening to the episodes lately on my afternoon jogs.

Thanks for calming my heart,

D F

• Like 1

I'm glad to read the other comments about this show because they echo mine own thoughts. I just love Janeane, and I felt so bad for being nearly annoyed with her serious tone and the talking and talking and talking with no one else talking. However, I agree that the show definitely took a turn for the better when she lightened up a bit.

I was really hoping Janeane would bring up the group AE9/11 Truth. They have over 1,700 professional architects and engineers who present scientific evidence that controlled explosive demolitions were involved with the collapse of the 3 WTC towers. Their film "Experts Speak Out" which was recenty promoted by PBS, is available to view for free on YouTube, and would be an interesting topic for the Blast off gang to cover.

I love this episode. :)

Janeane has an amazing energy and she is hilarious.

Sign in to follow this