🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 7 — Follow the Whispers

Joss Whedon came all over his pants when he listened to this episode. I could hear him from the East Coast.

NERD POKER: DUNGEON AND DRAGONS WITH BRIAN POSEHN & FREINDS "Blaine" "Ken" "Sarah" "Sark" " You can forget about Gerry"

So now that the cat's out of the bag on these comments and I won't be spoiling anything - the purpose of the hooks was actually to kill him and not capture him? He was being dragged down to the other... half-sphere?... just because he'd die on the way? I guess I assumed he'd be dragged into it and survive the way Mildred did.

It sounded like one of the hooks had got his leg pretty bad. So I don't know if the intent was to kill him. As was said before, Sark seemed rather shocked by his last action. I loved the character and his roleplaying, but if he's rolling up another...I can't wait!

I think Ell Ryan died of a case of "Damn, I really should be writing Deadpool."

Having watched a lot of sitcoms over the years, I'd love for a perception botch while eavesdropping to be that it leads to a huge misunderstanding of the situation. The listener gets the exact opposite impression of the speakers intention, Don Knotts style.

Yes, my thoughts exactly! In this case it would lead to a huge and probably very dangerous misunderstanding.

There's always a possible botch to be thought up, and they're a wonderful way to create surprising twists in the story being created.

The Ballad of Ell Ryan

Ell Ry-an, Ell Ry-an

Ell Ryan was a high elf, he lived a noble life.

He didn't have have children; he didn't have a wife.

But he had a spirit bear; it went with him everywhere.

Lover of nature, Ell Ryan.

Ell Ry-an, Ell Ry-an

Ell Ryan went on a boat trip, but didn't have a clue

The fate that would befall the ship's passengers and crew.

He woke up beneath the deck; everything had gone to heck,

Decided to get naked, Ell Ryan.

Ell Ry-an, Ell Ry-an

Ell Ryan first in battle, though nude he didn't care.

He would always lead the charge with his spirit bear.

In the thick of the fight, unleashing his magic might,

Bare-assed mighty warrior, Ell Ryan.

Ell Ry-an, Ell Ry-an

Ell Ryan struck by large steel first into the sea was cast.

Then mounted on his spirit bear, he towed his party's raft.

Confronted by an unknown foe, tried once more to strike a blow,

Valiant with no clothes, Ell Ryan.

Ell Ry-an, Ell Ry-an

Bound by chains, hook in his flesh, Ell ryan met his fate.

Learned struggle, leads to victory, but also to the grave.

But he did not die alone, his spirit bear will lead him Home,

Found peace in the end, Ell Ryan.

::tear::

^ Hahaha awesome (the song). I hope Gerry rolls another character right away I don't know how D&D works but i hope we don't get episodes without him.

Great song, too bad no bards in the group.

This morning the thought occured to me...have they battled anyone? Like a big for real fight? If I'm completely blanking on something I apologize but I can't remember any engagements. This isn't a complaint at all.

Love this podcast! I have the fever to RPG again!!

If Gerry and Sark are game, they should have Ell Ryan psychically link with his spirit bear in non-corporeal form since he passed that disembodied check at the end.

Ell Ryan could then play with some of his shaman powers (Wrath of Winter) and the spirit bear psyche attacks. The group could then spend a campaign trying to find a replacement high elf shaman body for Ell Ryan to transmit his consciousness too.

Just a thought. #TeamSpiritBear

Having watched a lot of sitcoms over the years, I'd love for a perception botch while eavesdropping to be that it leads to a huge misunderstanding of the situation. The listener gets the exact opposite impression of the speakers intention, Don Knotts style.
I agree! We always play that any botched roll makes for some unintended outcome. Makes for fun RP.

It seemed to me that when Sark described Ell Ryan's final of two actions as "your last action" what Gerry heard "what is Ell Ryan's last action on earth(?) now that you failed to get this hook out your leg"

I really appreciate that Sark can kill a character and for Gerry it seemed like no big deal. Even going along with it, though I doubt it was Satk's intent. It shows a trust between player and DM and its nice to see. I have no doubt we will see Gerry very soon. Even better if he brings the bear.

Sark didn't kill him. An "action" is when a player states he's going to try something and then rolls to see if he accomplished whatever it was. Sark gave him two actions. So Gerry could have used his second action to, say, swim for the bronze thing that the chains were coming from, rolled for it and made it inside. As someone else said it sounded like Ell Ryan died mostly of apathy.

that was my point, Sark intended him (Gerry) to take an additional action and it felt like Gerry just made his "last action"

I think Gerry should make a relatively easy early roll for his next character. Right off the start roll to see if Ell Ryan can possess and take over the new body. Ell Ryan is now part of the spirit world. HE CAN'T BE GONE FOREVER PLEASE NO!!!!

I like the finality off Ell Ryan's demise. People die for stupid reason everyday and I think the looming specter of death means that everybody has more to lose, more skin in the game. High drama. I do think that it would be interesting for Gerry and Sark to roll up his new character in a mini-episode.

• Like 1