🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 62 — Presidential Marriage Proposal

Wedding bells are in the air as humans Matt Walsh, Jon Gabrus, and Lauren Lapkus join Matt Besser to share their stories of marriage proposals on today’s improv4humans! Listen as they create improvised scenes about the worst marriage proposal, secret drinking songs, and prank calling impressionists. Be sure to pick up an improv4humans shirt from the Earwolf Store and follow @MattBesser on Twitter to send in your improv suggestions. Music by Bobby Matthews and Dragoon. You can also now get Matt Besser’s new comedy album “The Six Most Important Sets in the History of Standup” at mattbesser.com!

"Racial Slur."

Interesting! What made you want to edit that out, Matt?

Anyway, great episode. The Proposal sketch is an all-timer.

My favorite part was Matt's proposal story. "I need some tums." 'Really setting the mood there, yeah honey, I gotta go shit my brains out.'

Priceless.

• Like 1

Gabrus messed up the song. It should be:

Who can take a cheese grater,

Strap it to his arm,

fist fuck the bitch and make pussy Parmesan?

The S & M Man.

How is one to make pussy parmesan just by grabbing the bitch without fist fucking her? Shoot the boot ya idiot!

Also, is it now canonical that the name of the announcer is "The Improv4Humans Robot"?

Also, is it now canonical that the name of the announcer is "The Improv4Humans Robot"?

I don't know if there is official canon, but I know her as Audrey...

Hey guys we're running dangerously low on good videos! Get to the youtube submission thread and throw in some ideas. There are so many good ones out there.

Let's try to change them up too. It's easy to throw in weird news reports, crazy people, bad music, right wing nuts, etc and those are sometimes great, but it's fun to get fresh angles in too.

Amazing episode - best one in a while. This is exactly why I look forward to every Thursday.

Hoping for a bonus episode on Tuesday so I can hear more of these 4 together!

• Like 1

I know Matt is going to hate this, but my favorite part of every I4H are the real stories between the improv. The funniest people in the universe telling the funniest stories in the universe to other funniest people in the universe is the best thing in the universe.

• Like 1

I was so happy when a Lauren Lapkus character was described as a "bottom feeder" even though it wasn't actually intended as a reference to the multiple ass-sucking episode, I like to believe it was.

• Like 3

One of my favourite episodes of Improv4humans is the gun episode. I thought it was very topical and a good discussion.

Personally I thought that the edit of nigger was actually distracting more than the word itself. Kind of ruined the flow for me.

As for improvements, I dunno. After 62 episodes you've really gotten into a good grove and a formula that works. Changing up where you get stories from every few months has really helped.

One thing that would be interesting would be to try a long form (like 30 minutes) improv. Most of the scenes on this show are fairly short and it would interesting to hear a much longer one. I dunno how feasible that is but it would be interesting to hear.

Personally I thought that the edit of n***** was actually distracting more than the word itself. Kind of ruined the flow for me.

I thought the edit was great.

The comedic payoff is there without having to actually use any hate language.

Great call, Besser!

Interesting you think it was "nigger". It was not. Was not an African-American slur at all. However, let's not turn this into a guessing game.

• Like 2

One thing that would be interesting would be to try a long form (like 30 minutes) improv. Most of the scenes on this show are fairly short and it would interesting to hear a much longer one. I dunno how feasible that is but it would be interesting to hear.

In our next ep. we accidentally did this. See what you think.

• Like 1

Really great episode! I felt like the chemistry here was one of the best in a while, everyone was quick on their toes and played off each other very well.

Also, all this robot announcer talk has me imagining another robot character that tries to take over announcement duties. And it brings me back to phonetically typing English things in Russian into text to speech engines to get the robot to say funny things in a Russian accent. Which I may or may not have spent hours doing.

This was a great grouping of guests. Matt Walsh is always solid (in fact, I think that he's been so reliably good for so long that at this point his talent level may be under-rated, as people have simply grown accustomed to his excellence). I'm not as familiar with Jon Gabrus, but I enjoyed his work here quite a bit. Finally, between her appearances on Improv4Humans and Comedy Bang Bang in the past year, Lauren Lapkus has emerged as one of my absolute favorite comedy podcast guests -- she strikes me as a gifted, versatile, and very funny improviser with a winsome personality. Wonderful show.

Interesting you think it was "nigger". It was not. Was not an African-American slur at all. However, let's not turn this into a guessing game.

Interesting because I really thought it was based off what was said afterwords. Now I really want to know what it is. Personally I just thought it was really weird since you haven't censored in the past. For me it just took me out probably because I hate censorship. But to each their own.

In our next ep. we accidentally did this. See what you think.

Fantastic! I look forward to it. One thing I am wondering is if having no audience reaction effects how you continue on the scene.

Hard to improve upon what is already an incredible show. Between the strong structure, the willingness to explore themed episodes that clearly impassion you and now the mention of longer improvs; it's all good. I guess my one thing would be that I think it's odd that PFT has not been on the show. I realize he's not part of the UCB stable, but this show is currently standing between him and his goal of guesting on every single podcast in the world.

• Like 1

Of course we thought you probably said the n-word. Generally, that's THE slur that you can't say unless you're making some sort of shocking point about using the n-word. Don't put it off on that guy, like he's got the n-word on his mind. It's also funny that you give a hint, then ask us not to have a guessing game. That's like saying "Ready... Set... Go! But please, let's not have this turn into a race!" Anyway, my guess is "Gubba" the derogatory term for White people used by Aboriginal Australians. Am I close?

I don't know if there is official canon, but I know her as Audrey...

So she IS a real person. I always thought it was, but I wondered who you were getting in there so regularly with the various funny things she can pipe in with.

I don't know what I'd do, either! I think the show is always enjoyable, every time. Sorry I'm so bad at constructive criticism.

Sign in to follow this