🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 5 — Analyze Fish

Am I a horrible person for immediately imagining the late, great Freddy Mercury during the discussion of sharks not being able to fit all their teeth in their mouths? Now all I can think about is FreddyShark swimming through the oceans singing We Are the Champions as he struggles to manage his many rows of teeth, a tiny half-microphone stand tucked under his fin.

Love the mashup of the Jaws theme and Phish's version of the theme to 2001 at the end of the episode. Well done, whoever you are.

• Like 8

I know some people (Phish fans especially) will gripe about feeling duped, but i thought what they did with this was really funny. I never expected any more AP episodes, so the brief AP section that started the new episode was a nice bonus, and served as a proper coda to the previous episodes in the series. It actually reminded me of when 'Childrens Hospital' did their 'Party Down' ep, and everyone got super excited, only to find out (in true 'Childrens' fashion) that the 'Party Down' portion didn't come until the episode was already over, and lasted about 20 seconds.

I think Earwolf has an awesome opportunity to make Analyze Phish just a template for a series of one-off episodes with Earwolf personalities trying to turn a skeptical colleague on to something that they are passionate about. Scott could host an episode trying to get someone into musical theater, the Sklars could do an episode trying to turn someone on to a great football game or March Madness or something, so on and so forth. I think the idea has serious potential beyond just Phish if they really wanted to do something with it.

• Like 12

Cinematic suiting: Well, The Man in the White Suit. And Patrick McGoohan in nearly anything he did.

A very promising start, even grand-ois(e) in its pleasantry. I don't know how many episodes beyond two can be spun out of this iteration (how much, indeed, did you dislike Abe Vigoda's sitcom Fish and The Day the Fish Came Out?), but the interaction between the three was good fun, even for one, such as myself, who found Jaws pleasant enough (and no more) upon seeing it on first run, and has never liked a Spielberg film before or since even that much...so maybe it is the capstone to his plastic career. Not a huge Peter Benchley fan, either, but his father wasn't too shabby a novelist, and his grandfather's work was a passion of my youth...more the prose than the films, but the RB film appearances were often good, too...

Love the mashup of the Jaws theme and Phish's version of the theme to 2001 at the end of the episode. Well done, whoever you are.

Agreed x1000.

• Like 5

Over/under on the amount of times Paul F. Tompkins says the word "germane" during this podcast series (not including going off on a tangent about the Jackson 5/Jermaine Jackson.): 7

I'll take the over.

• Like 1

This was everything I wanted and more. PFT and Ku-Ku are a hilarious pairing!

*Edited for Wee-Wee! I just can't get Kulap off my mind!*

This was everything I wanted and more. PFT and Ku-Ku are a hilarious pairing!

Ku-Ku, you say?

Thief is great, so, shut up. Also, they were at a steel mill. As a man who dresses like a union-busting robber baron, I assume PFT would be aware of this!

1) This is one of the most entertaining things I've ever heard. More more more.

2) Maybe Enmity would be a super nice place, in a Greenland/Iceland type of situation with Amity.

3) Spielberg is framboise.

I know some people (Phish fans especially) will gripe about feeling duped, but i thought what they did with this was really funny. I never expected any more AP episodes, so the brief AP section that started the new episode was a nice bonus, and served as a proper coda to the previous episodes in the series. It actually reminded me of when 'Childrens Hospital' did their 'Party Down' ep, and everyone got super excited, only to find out (in true 'Childrens' fashion) that the 'Party Down' portion didn't come until the episode was already over, and lasted about 20 seconds.

I think Earwolf has an awesome opportunity to make Analyze Phish just a template for a series of one-off episodes with Earwolf personalities trying to turn a skeptical colleague on to something that they are passionate about. Scott could host an episode trying to get someone into musical theater, the Sklars could do an episode trying to turn someone on to a great football game or March Madness or something, so on and so forth. I think the idea has serious potential beyond just Phish if they really wanted to do something with it.

Next time: the Earwolf gang heads to the film section of the library in Analyze Fiche.

• Like 2

So who wants to edit the poster for Analyze This? Put Howard and PFT's faces on Crystal and De Niro's, put Shelby and a shark...somewhere? Or Shelby on De Niro's face and Howard's head on the body of a shark. I'd do this myself but I don't know how to work photoshop and also I am very lazy!

This was soooo good.

As others have mentioned, the combo of Wie-Wie and PFT is always gold. I especially loved "I can't swallow this cheesesteak, I gots no spit!", Howard's inevitable "clench" discussion, and Howard sussing out Paul's non-attempt to deduce his age.

Also, in reading through this thread, the awesomeness of the Fish part is overwhelming the nearly-equal awesomeness of the Phish part, so allow me to give Scott and Harris their deserved props.

• Like 2

Currently listening to the first episode of Analyze Phish. So excited to catch up.

This band is just so unexceptional. Completely incapable of coming up with a melody.

benjamin-sisko-benjamin-sisko-13605630-705-530.jpg

How dare you, Shelby Fero. HOW DARE YOU.

I'm assuming it was an oversight, for the sake of my sanity.

• Like 1

So, like Doug Benson, Howard is a couple of years older than his IMDB profile states. Bizarre how that works, if only the DOB's (presumably not provided by them) had been accurate in the first place, they wouldn't be evading the question at all. Truth is they are two of the funniest people around and no one gives a shit if they are 31 or 51.

(They are both 52.)

• Like 1