Sign in to follow this  
jonroach13

Earwolf Studio Equipment

Long time listener, first time caller...

I've been searching through the forums to see what the audio equipment chain is in the Earwolf Studio. I know they use Shure SM7Bs, but does anyone have an idea of what is being used as the mixer and external processing (If any?)

Thanks!

Judging by the studio pictures, DJizz is right, they go through a small Soundcraft mixer into a mac and then into Pro Tools, probably v.8 or 9. Then im sure theres a good deal of compressing and limiting done within PT. Then they compress the bounced files into shitty mp3 files. Start using OggVorbis, Earwolf!!! Better quality and smaller files thant mp3!!!!!!!

Well we have two studios now with different setups. The main studio is pretty bare bones. We're built for speed, baby! The SM7b's go into the Soundcraft. The master mix of the board then goes into our little Saffire interface and into Pro Tools 10, where we do our magic in post and bounce to a nice stereo wav. Then we ruin all the fidelity by converting into a tiny MP3. No one likes that part, but we gotta keep the file sizes very small.

In our second studio, we have a Saffire Pro 40 the mics plug directly into. We can do multi-track recordings in there, so it works better for music and gives us more flexibility in post. The Pro 40 also allows us to give the talent multiple monitor mixes, which is again cool for bands.

The OggVorbis idea is interesting. I'm always looking for any possible ways to up the quality, hopefully to a stereo format, but like I said we have a pretty solid system built around minimal turn-around time and teensy file sizes, so rocking the boat is sometimes more hassle than you might think. It's gotta play nicely with all of our distribution channels and tags, etc. I'll look into it.

• Like 2

iOS doesn't even support ogg natively so anyone downloading podcasts to itunes will not be able to play them. Apple has locked us into only a few different formats, unfortunately. :(

Just watched the improv4humans that's on YouTube and everyone was wearing headset mics. What are those? Sounded good to me.

Just watched the improv4humans that's on YouTube and everyone was wearing headset mics. What are those? Sounded good to me.

that was a new thing from the VPN crew to not block the faces so much and give the comics a little more room to move. they worked well for that, but audio-wise they were definitely not as good. i'm not sure what we're doing for the next I4H shoot (this thursday!), but for the normal podcasts we're still using the SM7Bs.