🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
klemjohansen

ELO + OJN - Xanadu

Imagine Can't Stop the Music with a weird Greek mythology vibe and you pretty much have it. Studio execs were like "hey, Grease was huge- lets get the guy from Warriors and put everything on rollerskates! We cannot possibly lose!"

• Like 1

Holy Crap, what did I just watch?

I loved that I was pretty much lost by the time the muses exit the painting, and that for the longest time I thought that the movie's conflict would wind up being Michael Beck (Who is HORRIBLE) and Gene Kelly fighting over Olivia Newton-John (Who is pretty much on autopilot here), only to discover that there really was no conflict. Also, Roller Skating has nothing at all to do with this plot, yet is the major theme to this movie.

This movie would be amazing to do, I just want the guys to figure out what the fuck was going on before they encounter the most anticlimatic ending ever! I will give ONJ and ELO credit, Xanadu is unbearably catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWeJ9p42ufg

"You see, I'm one of the Muses, from Greek mythology."

"Oh, that makes sense. I hadn't realized you were a crazy person. Very well, then."

"Ah, so you're saying you're really gods and Greek mythology is all real."

"Precisely."

"Well, that's all very interesting, but can I date this chick or not?"

• Like 1

Also, if you want to feel like your brain will explode, look at what the director has been doing since 2002.

Well then that must mean this was a documentary on how the Reagan Administration wasn't tough enough on those Damn Mural Muses.

But guys, we need to restart the movement on this movie! The fact that the fish in Don Bluth's animation has better acting skills than the man he represents? Gene Kelly tap dances with the Ghost of Olivia Newton-John? I'M OBSESSED!

• Like 2

I love this stupid movie. An episode would be great.

It's legit good times. This is Gene Kelley's last movie, right? I'm too lazy to check. But he looks like he's having a blast in it.

And ELO is on top of their game; I can't even call them a guilty pleasure because Jeff Lynne can write a fucking jam.

Also, in my mind, this is actually a sequel to The Warriors (which came out the previous year).

• Like 2

It's legit good times. This is Gene Kelley's last movie, right? I'm too lazy to check. But he looks like he's having a blast in it.

And ELO is on top of their game; I can't even call them a guilty pleasure because Jeff Lynne can write a fucking jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPJ9BtqK7w

Also, in my mind, this is actually a sequel to The Warriors (which came out the previous year).

I agree Kelly is giving it his all. The guy had a real zest for life and it always showed. As goofy as this movie is, his dancing in this is amazing (esp for a 68-year-old who wasn't in great health).

I will admit, seeing Gene Kelly on Roller Skates did make me smile. We also need to talk about the fact that his character is apparently the exact same character from 1944's "Cover Girl", with the exact same backstory.

Day 3 and Xanadu is still stuck in my head (XANADU da da duh da da XANADUuUU now we are here IN XANADUuuuUU)

Oh Xana-do this movie! The first video reminded me how I don't really care for Don Bluth (despite his laser disc games and about 50% of Secret of NIMH)

Wait, you only like 50% of the Secret of Nimh?

Your avatar is fucking PERFECT for this question Sean.

....and this movie is hands-down amazing. I would love an episode for this one.

June would fucking love this movie as much as Jason would absolutely hate it.

I hope it happens at some point,

• Like 1

Wait, you only like 50% of the Secret of Nimh?

Eh, maybe 75%, but man, that stuff where it's cutesy or tries to be funny causes me pain.

Eh, maybe 75%, but man, that stuff where it's cutesy or tries to be funny causes me pain.

That pain you feel is the joy creeping into your blackened heart. LET IT IN.

• Like 4

This episode needs to be done with another podcast trio as guests - Dan Harmon, Jeff Davis and Erin McGathy

• Like 1

This movie and "A View to a Kill" are going to be covered by the gang at Largo next Friday!

• Like 2

I love this movie for the music and the visuals... and want them to tear it to pieces! It's such a great idea!

The only better idea would be getting Paul F. Tompkins on as guest to be Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber in-character the whole show! Don't care if he has nothing to do with it; I tell you, I've been waiting for them to tackle a musical since this show began, and I demand that their guest be Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber so we can hear from a professional just how awful all non-Cats (or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcast, or Phantom of the Opera, or Starlight Express, etc.) musicals are :)

• Like 3

I watched this movie when it was announced as being a Largo ep.....I have been going crazy ever since trying to figure out via google if ANYONE ever had a job like Sonny Malone had painting larger versions of album covers.

I was born in 1979 and I certainly remember the time before computers did everything but surely even in the early 80s we had the ability to print large posters? Ugh, I remember billboards being hand painted though so maybe this really was a thing? Seems so insane that hiring artists to do this would be the most economical choice!

My own grandfather was a sign painter and truck letterer so I guess this shouldn't seem so bizarre...

It really is crazy how far technology has progressed since this movie came out.

I was born in 1979 and I certainly remember the time before computers did everything but surely even in the early 80s we had the ability to print large posters? Ugh, I remember billboards being hand painted though so maybe this really was a thing? Seems so insane that hiring artists to do this would be the most economical choice!

Easy Street Records, a beloved Seattle institution, used to hand-paint the covers of new releases on their exterior walls. Of course, they also closed up shop in 2013, so reality = YES, economical = PROBABLY NOT.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this