๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 54 โ€” The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Great episode. I found Heidecker a lot more tolerable in the context of discussing something as a normal human rather than using an actively unfunny jerk persona as he does on CBB.

ย 

The viral video with the kids was the first thing I thought of when this was announced, and I hoped they would discuss it. I'm glad that some people expressed discomfort with it, because while I do think it's really funny, I do get uncomfortable if I think about it at all. The parents laughing in the video and the general idea of recording it and putting it on YouTube is really shitty.

• Like 6

This was a wonderful episode. It was very interesting to listen to a thoughtful discussion regarding the relative merits of this movie. There have been a few episodes in the past where it seemed to be generally agreed upon that the movie under consideration crossed over into "bad movie" territory, but did so in a self-conscious (even thoughtful) way that ultimately made it enjoyable to watch (e.g. Fast 5, Crank 2, certain aspects of Drive Angry, etc.). But, this seems like the first film that was actually trying to be a "good movie" that seems to have -- arguably -- succeeded in doing so. At least, according to some. Anyway, great show.

Was I the only one who saw odd Eraserhead connections here I mean strange supernatural child, but more importantly the pencil factory scene was very much an homage to the pencil manufacturing scene in Eraserhead. I mean obviously the influences end about there, but still a nice reference in what was an all-together not terrible film.

What the hell was going on with the kid saving the factory? Dude, you came from a tree and you're actively supporting deforestation to make pencils.

ย 

It shows you didn't watch the movie. The point of that plotline is to show that the plant is somehow going to convert from wood-based pencils to leaf-based pencils. It's crazy, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

If camera phones and YouTube had been around in 1988, I would have been the sobbing, traumatized mess in that video. Also, the movie would have been "Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach". Why was Steve Gutenberg taken from us? WHY?!?!

ย 

It shows you didn't watch the movie. The point of that plotline is to show that the plant is somehow going to convert from wood-based pencils to leaf-based pencils. It's crazy, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

And also, Timothy isn't a tree. This was one of things that bugged me when they discussed the end on the podcast; someone (I forget who) kept saying they expected Timothy to turn into a tree at the end. But Timothy sprouted from the "box of dreams" the parents planted in Cindy's garden. He's more akin to the fruits and vegetables his mother grows there--which, I think, is actually a pretty sweet symbol for motherhood.

Joni saw his leaves. Gave her heart. Why is everyone so fucking stupid? The whole fucking storie was him doing these things for her. Even in the end. She got two.

Hey HDTGM, longtime listener, first-time poster. So, I guess I'm the black sheep of your listening audience. This will be my least favorite out of all the episodes. I was with you all in expecting the kid to turn into a tree; maybe like the one in Eddie Murphy's A Thousand Words. Hey maybe this is a prequel to Eddie's movie. Eddie Murphy is another crappy parent being schooled by a tree. Anyway, I hope your serious discussions are few and far between. I can get serious discussions about movies from too many places. I can only get skillfully comedic reviews from a few; and your podcast takes the number 1 spot. Fortunately, I have the reviews of Battlefield Earth and Skyline to get me by until the next episode. Thanks for all your good work.

Joni saw his leaves. Gave her heart. Why is everyone so fucking stupid? The whole fucking storie

This is where I stopped reading.

Jason lost his sack reviewing this movie. Apparently watching a movie and they cue "sad music" is enough to convince you that this is good.

You guys should watch movies that are sort of just good more often. It makes for interesting conversation.

ย 

Also, I think the main question that wasn't covered nearly enough is CAN YOU SMOKE TIMOTHY GREEN, BRO?!

• Like 2

Great episode. Just wanted to add some perspective.

ย 

My wife and I went through two miscarriages before conceiving, and June is right in saying that after trying and going through all that heartache, all you want is a healthy child. My wife and I went through the "Lets get a dog" phase also.

ย 

As far as adoption goes, remember how her sister reacted to Timothy? Maybe they thought they would be judged as failures or their kid wouldn't be accepted by the family.

Also, every single person in this town, with maybe 4 exceptions, is a horrible person. And who the hell creates a new pencil and doesn't patent that shit?

• Like 2

As soon as I saw the trailer for this movie I knew I would never ever watch it. I hate blatant emotional manipulation in movies, which is also why I will never watch anything that has anything to do with Nicholas Sparks ever again. After my boyfriend ranting about this movie after seeing it at work, and this podcast I know I totally can't watch it because it WILL get me to cry and then I'll just be angry that I allowed it. But damn it I'm so curious...

ย 

Also if anyone wanted to watch the video of the sad kids...

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFV1r45sAQ

ย 

Oh those poor babies.

ย 

ย 

Oh my God, that video changed my life. Those poor kids were DESTROYED by what they witnessed.

ย 

The thing is, in prior examples of movies that introduce the concept of death to children, it was always delivered in a medium that was a bit more abstract to kids (like bambi a deer, or old yeller a dog). But this wasn't an animal... this was for all intents and purposes, a fucking human being! A child, no less! Disney sat a bunch of children down and made them watch a small child, one of their own visage, die before their very eyes.

ย 

To the undeveloped mind of a child, whose attachments to movies have yet to have been separated from their attachments to real life, that response is totally appropriate.

ย 

And it is hilarious.

I haven't seen "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" yet and I don't have kids of my own but, when you guys describe the movie I get the feeling IMHO that recent Disney films as well as family films from other film companies are being written with complex morals ( Things are just not simply good or bad anymore ) as a revenge ( or "middle finger" if you will ) to the parents in the audience, so that the little kids get the funny/silly slapstick physical comedy parts and the parents get the message:

ย 

"Right now, You may or may not be a BAD PARENT. Check Yourself"

ย 

For example...

ย 

The old school Disney film morals where straightforward enough and aimed at the entire audience IMHO

ย 

* "Pinocchio"s moral was "Don't Lie"

ย 

* "Beauty And The Beast"s moral was "Beauty Is Inside You" and "Dont Judge a Book by it's cover"

ย 

* "Finding Nemo" had a messages for both the Kids and the Parents... For the kids: "Sometimes, father knows best" For the parents: "Don't overprotect your children"

ย 

ย 

In 2012 I've seen 2 movies with somewhat harsh messages for the parents

ย 

Sony Pictures Animation's "Hotel Transylvania" and Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph" *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

In "Hotel Transylvania" Dracula overprotects and lies to her daughter Mavis and forbids her to leave the Hotel even after she is 118 Adult Vampire

ย 

In "Wreck-It Ralph" Ralph a Vintage Video Game Bad guy makes a deal with an orphan Little Girl to help her but after someone else gives Ralph the reward he wanted without any effort he betrays the deal he had with the little girl, because in his mind he knows what is best and is trying to save her... ( The other message in "Wreck-It Ralph" was "Labels are bad" "Don't let anybody tell you who you are" )

ย 

I can only imagine how parents feel and what they are thinking after sitting through these movies and when they get home their children or teenage kids are like "You are over protecting me! You can't tell me what to do!" LOL

ย 

ย 

In other news tomorrow I will go see "Wreck-It Ralph" in 3D for a third time :)

ย 

ย 

Thank you for reading my post :D I really REALLY want to know what you guys think...

ย 

Am I right, am I wrong or am I just scared to death of having children

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

Well, I admitted not watching the movie... But he's clearly part nature, if not a tree. He's got leaves growing out of him, came from the ground near a garden and tree, and died after his leaves changed colors.

ย 

You really think a factory is going to just wholeheartedly adopt a leaf pencil thing? The logistics of that are ridiculous, and they'd be nothing more than a gimmick. No way they'd switch production to just leaf pencils, it would cost too much and they aren't sure anyone would buy them. So yeah, I'm sticking with my original thought even though I may have mislabeled the kid.

I get the feeling IMHO that recent Disney films as well as family films from other film companies are being written with complex morals ( Things are just not simply good or bad anymore ) as a revenge ( or "middle finger" if you will ) to the parents in the audience, so that the little kids get the funny/silly slapstick physical comedy parts and the parents get the message:

ย 

I think what you wrote is pretty accurate, but I hate the fact that it's like that now. You don't need multiple moral threads in a movie. Just write a solid story with one main moral. Don't lie, fucking great. Beauty is inside, fucking great. These are kids movies you don't want diametrically opposing themes of over parenting and listening to your parents, because that could easily lead to a kid listening more but the parent saying less. Don't complicate it, just make it entertaining.

ย 

Plus, the whole death thing... Bambi's mom or Simba's dad crushed generations of kids, introduced death to youngsters, and kept it at least a bit separated. Newsflash, don't show kids dying to to kids.

• Like 2

Plus, the whole death thing... Bambi's mom or Simba's dad crushed generations of kids, introduced death to youngsters, and kept it at least a bit separated.

ย 

Yeah... Morals and the inevitable "Death Talk" with your child on the ride back home :S

ย 

There are good "Parents Guides" to movies in IMDB.com where they lay the scenes out in categories as:

ย 

*Sex & Nudity

*Violence & Gore

*Profanity

*Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

*Frightening/Intense Scenes

ย 

The link below is the guide for Bambi... I don't think it conveys the chilhood destroying power of the film though...

ย 

http://www.imdb.com/...2/parentalguide

ย 

I think what you wrote is pretty accurate, but I hate the fact that it's like that now. You don't need multiple moral threads in a movie. Just write a solid story with one main moral. Don't lie, fucking great. Beauty is inside, fucking great. These are kids movies you don't want diametrically opposing themes of over parenting and listening to your parents, because that could easily lead to a kid listening more but the parent saying less. Don't complicate it, just make it entertaining.

ย 

Plus, the whole death thing... Bambi's mom or Simba's dad crushed generations of kids, introduced death to youngsters, and kept it at least a bit separated. Newsflash, don't show kids dying to to kids.

Historically, Disney's actually been pretty anti-family in their FAMILY films, or at least in the majority of their animated output. How often has there been a family that has both parents in the picture where at least one, if not both of them doesn't end up dead by the end? I mean, that's usually how those films BEGIN. "Timothy Green" kind of flips the script a little by killing off the kid, which might be a Disney first, certainly in live-action.

• Like 1

Historically, Disney's actually been pretty anti-family in their FAMILY films, or at least in the majority of their animated output. How often has there been a family that has both parents in the picture where at least one, if not both of them doesn't end up dead by the end?

ย 

ย 

A very good point... My father hates the "Toy Story" movies, he always ask "Where is Andy's Dad?" rhetorically

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

A very good point... My father hates the "Toy Story" movies, he always ask "Where is Andy's Dad?" rhetorically

Yeah, that's never addressed that at all! Here you've got a single mom with a kid that's like 5 or 6 that also has an INFANT, and we don't know if the dad bailed or if mom's a widow or what. In the third one, when Andy's off to college, we don't get any sort of "If only dad were here to see this" talk, which leads me to believe that the guy took off and that he's just something that they don't talk about.

ย 

The rest of the Disney catalog has parents being murdered in front of their children, kids with evil stepmothers that are trying to kill them, straight-up negligence, manipulation, etc. How silly is it that something like the excellent "Lilo and Stitch", a film about a young girl adopting an alien killing machine from an animal shelter while being raised by her older sister, is the film that most directly tackles the issue of trying (and mostly FAILING) to adapt to life after mom and dad die unexpectedly? There's even child abuse humor, and Ving Rhames as the world's coolest social worker!

• Like 2

Great episode, as always. I just wanted to comment on how you thought it was an original story. I thought the story was very similar to Mary Poppins. However, instead of the children writing a list of what they wanted and Mary Poppins coming, it was the parents. The message was the same, in that George learnt how to be a better parent.

• Like 2

Great episode. I found it really funny that Jason and June basically switched their usual HDTGM positions for this one; June will usually try and get into the movie's head, and try to figure out the movie's message, whilst Jason will have a lot of fun with the absurdity and crapiness of most of the movies HDTGM reviews.

ย 

But this week, June was basically calling the movie out as garbage and absurd, and Jason was trying to let the movie in and embrace its message. My suspicion is that there was a Freaky Friday style incident before this podcast was recorded.

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot... I loved, LOVED the DRAMA movie "Flight", the acting was top notch (I enjoyed Kelly Reilly 's performance, I forgot she was from England ), It reminded me of "Requiem For A Dream".

ย 

Personally I don't think it should be featured in the podcast, but ultimately I don't mind because I bet it will be a funny episode if it does :)

my daughter, zoe, is 6 and she LOVES this movie. when i asked her when and how timothy had the wherwithall to get a solid gold kazoo she said "he has leaves on his feet and he grew from the garden, mom. sometimes you just have to accept the magic." so there you go.

zoe also wanted me to know that timothy didn't die, he went to "help another family who needed him just like mary poppins or dr who."

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this