🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 20 — Great American Dream

It’s known that Jake is an all-time master at picking clips so when would he ever allow someone else to curate his show? When that someone else is multimedia goddess Rachel Lichtman!!! She sits in with Jake and talks about her work for The Monkees, having the most obscure pop culture references on her twitter feed, and her documentary, Candy Store Profits, all on today’s episode of The Fogelnest Files! Jake and Rachel mind meld over her collection of delightful clips that include; a young woman in 1965 New York fawning over The Beetles and sprouting a new generation, the lo-fi origins of the Doctor Who theme song, and the Bee Gees on Howard Stern’s New Years Rotten Eve serenading John Bobbit’s lost penis. They also check out and try to understand a commercial from 1982 for an English leather British bikini girl contest that’s narrated with enough velocity to melt your face. To watch the clips discussed on this episode go to: http://www.youtube.com/thefogelnestfiles. Make sure to leave your reviews for every James Bond movie in “The Fogelnest Files” section on Itunes and also come see Jake live at UCB Theatre on Jan. 31st with special guests Rob Huebel and Chelsea Peretti!

Wow, I would watch the shit out of that This American Life episode. "Meow."

I did not think it would have, but the Hanna-Barbera ident invoked a physical response in me... I got chills, and I immediately saw that whirling star in my mind and for a fleeting moment I was seven years old again.

• Like 2

Great episode. I look forward to Rachel Lichtman's return on episode 40.

I'm also glad to hear there will be a commentary track released for one of my favorite bad movies -- Sgt. Pepper's Club Band. I lobbied for HDTGM to cover it, but a full commentary track might even be better. It's a wonderfully bad and misguided film that I've seen many times.

Jake, you brought up Joey Heatherton on the show. Do you remember the short lived summer replacement variety show she had with her father in 1975 called Joey & Dad? To my memory it was quintessentially 70s, but I've been unable to find clips online.

Yeah, the "Sgt. Pepper" commentary track is going to be epic! Can't wait for us all to get in a room to get that done.

Never saw "Joey & Dad" but if anyone can track it down, it's Rachel!

This was BY FAR my favorite episode yet. The clips being so audio really made it stand out. I was standing in my kitchen washing dishes when the 'ident' portion came on and I had to stop and just enjoy it. Then the Dr. Who portion just boggled my mind. So well done guys, seriously, kudos. The entire thing, from start to finish, was just great.

Hey everyone, so glad you enjoyed this episode.

Motorboat Jones, I've never seen any clips of "Joey & Dad" (although, there are a few clips of her performing on a 'variety' show that is not identified, such as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGCGIDskCOI), but here is a link to the TV Party entry which features audio clips, etc. The show only ran for 4 weeks, so it's not surprising there isn't a lot of it out there. http://www.tvparty.com/varietyjoey.html

• Like 2

I think that one musical sting (that Jake was swearing he heard somewhere else) was used for something related to sports. I think!

Anyway, awesome episode! I really really want to see that Sgt. Pepper movie now.

Sign in to follow this