🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 196 — A Different Huelliverse

I completely agree with Jeff about celebrity chefs. It's sooo terrible when a famous chef wants to talk to me while I'm eating really really expensive food. I can't even count how many times this has happened to me. I also hate when the doorman says "hello" to me. Just open the door and leave me alone. Don't even get me started on orphans either. Get some parents already.*

*sarcasm

It's enough to make a guy fly private!

• Like 1

I'll be honest with you guys. I didn't know that Huell was a real person (in my defence, I'm not from the US). I came here just to comment on this episode being amazing—only then I realised the subtext of it all... I must admit it really brought tears to my eyes...

James Adomian nailed it! RIP Huell Howser.

Definitely the best CBB of the year so far and I can't imagine it not being in the top ten!

• Like 1

God that was perfect. So touching of James and wonderful of Scott to give him a platform to execute that on. This is why EARWOLF is the freaking best.

This has gotta be my favorite appearance by Huell or by James Adomian. Before Comedy Death Ray, I had only known of Huell Howser through Adam Carolla's rants on Loveline, then I guess a brief Simpsons character based on him, but I got pretty sad when I read that he died a couple weeks ago. Naturally, (unfortunately?) my thoughts went to "So how is this going to affect future Adomian episodes of CBB?" When I saw the title of this episode I actually got nervous - like maybe it was recorded before he died or there would be some other awkwardness. Nope, this was great, especially when he abruptly lashed out out at Jeff Garlin for simply not having seen California's Gold. But now I'm kind of sad again.

As a native Californian living in Texas, I have been taking Huell's death pretty hard. I remember watching his show with my grandmother who is also gone now. I went looking for nice pictures of Huell and I found this one from the 70s that brings me immense joy....

tumblr_mgfp4xSjwK1rxl1l7o1_500.jpg

Dolly Parton, Huell Howser, & Loretta Lynn

Thank you James for loving Huell and introducing him to the rest of the world. I'm glad he will live on through you.

• Like 6

I was going to call Adomian out for that Futurama bit but he beat me to it haha!

do you know which episode it's from? i'd like to check it out.

I agree with Jeff Garlin: it was not one of his funny days. I don't care for him. Adomian, on the other hand, always killer.

• Like 3

Where's the video on youtube.com/vpn? I thought once they aired, they stayed for us to watch. There were a few that were on for maybe a day and now are gone. I was planning on watching Who Charted and the other Bang Bang but I guess not now. Yeah, I know. I'm whining.

I was at the Jerry Lewis thing too and i admire Hadrian for taking the punches. I think it was wise turning it over to the audience, but Jerry was kind of a jerk about it. Hadrian really needed to speak up, I think that's what really annoyed the man in the end. Despite the tension, it was a great Q&A and someone actually had the balls to bring up, "The Day The Clown Cried."

I would follow Huell anywhere in time!

Where's the video on youtube.com/vpn? I thought once they aired, they stayed for us to watch. There were a few that were on for maybe a day and now are gone. I was planning on watching Who Charted and the other Bang Bang but I guess not now. Yeah, I know. I'm whining.

Not every show is on VPN. Other than the initial Sundance shows (which were taken down for audio tweaking but I believe have been restored), there will one show (CBB this week and the next two, rotating after that) live on VPN every Thursday at 6 (Pacific time), then archived.

Also, your avatar is the best.

do you know which episode it's from? i'd like to check it out.

It's called The Late Phillip J Fry.

• Like 1

This was a surprisingly touching episode. At the end, where Huell was saying that everyone who could hear his appearances were the real California's Gold I almost shed a tear :(

• Like 1

I thought Curb Your Laboratory was great.

Also glad to hear Huell discovered Oregon, we are bigger gold up here.

I don't get it. Scott and Jeff started the episode and then there's a break and then when they come back it's just them talking to each other like there's somebody else in the room, and then these prolonged silences as though they're listening, and then they react to the silence like somebody's talking.

I like the improv and all, but the whole "talk to somebody and then leave just silence where that person would respond" thing -- they lost me. Sorry.

• Like 1

I found Jeff started off being unfunny and by the end included in being an incredibly annoying improv roadblock to the master adomian. The man is a genius, let him fly! Very touching at the end too!

• Like 1

This episode made me wonder if Sir Mix-A-Lot ever hands out at UCB

"Girl, your body is like bad improv- no butt."

• Like 2

I feel like this episode was the sequel to Paranorman. Jeff, reprising his role from the first movie, feels that Scott is a terrible disappointment, but then ghosts change his mind.

• Like 1

Jeff is a delightful, wonderful man. I watched his stand-up special on netflix the other day and it is incredible.

Oh man. That could have been amazing. Adomian was brilliant, but Garlin (as much as I like him) doesn't know how to improv with other people. That was painful. So much amazingness blocked by Garlin at every turn, undermining Scott and James. Ruined Huel's farewell for me. Huel should have dominated the episode, not had to deal with a grumpy guest who refused and blocked every suggestion. Very sad :(/>

James's final serious tribute was lovely though.

Sign in to follow this