🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
choochoo_the_wonder_slut

Questions for Sark

Real important question here. More like a request. I just bought a ticket Tokyo on the 10th of April. Anyway that episode could be 13 hours long so I have something to distract me on the plane?

• Like 3

It was a quick & dirty setup but let's go with this:

Mildred, a stowaway on her vacation cruise, hid in the underbelly of her cruise liner when she saw the boarders. It being a vacation she didn't have her gear with her
:(
During the looting, and transferring of the passengers / prisoners / victims the crate she hid her tiny-self in was carried over to the invader's ship where she found herself super bored and eating show leather because she was so hungry. Beats the alternative as The Collector's don't seem to take very good care of females. FOR SOME REASON. A few days pass and she meets the party!

Now you, Mildred, and I can all sleep at night
:)

Whew, that's much better, I can now finally move on. Thanks for the explanation! I know I can sleep better now.

No, just no. Having Role Master charts & tables flashbacks. If you need that much stuff charted out, you shouldn't be DMing. Imagination & Creativity > Charts & Tables.

That kind of stuff just brings the game to a halt. And players love to sit and wait while you consult a chart after they Crit.

Sark's modified Botch system is easy to remember and adds a level of real threat to Botches. But doesn't hinder the game.

I've never played D&D but I have read several of the books based on the universe my favorite being The Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore but I was wondering if you have read any of the book based on the universe and how would someone go about starting playing D&D

No, just no. Having Role Master charts & tables flashbacks. If you need that much stuff charted out, you shouldn't be DMing. Imagination & Creativity > Charts & Tables.

That kind of stuff just brings the game to a halt. And players love to sit and wait while you consult a chart after they Crit.

Sark's modified Botch system is easy to remember and adds a level of real threat to Botches. But doesn't hinder the game.

.....Didn't realize two pages of charts was 'overwhelming' for you Craig. 'Bring it to a halt?' Not sure what severity of ADHD your players have but I'd hardly call rolling 2 ten-sided dice an incidence where the game is 'ground to a halt'.

How would you know what Sark's botch system is? As far as I can tell it hasn't been posted or explained in detail. 'Easy to remember?' I'm thinking it's easy to remember because he's pulling it out of his ass (in a way.) 0-60= double/minor damage/trip/fall. 61-100= heavy damage/loss of limbs/life/severe friendly fire.

Utilizing charts doesn't = lack of creativity and imagination. Charts are part of the process so that players and dm's can reference rules already in place, it's about creating consistancy. Supplementing them with these kinds of tables is just personal preference not bad campaigning. I personally enjoy the specifics of the chart. Loosing an eye or a limb is much more dramatic than just general woundings.

• Like 2

Thanks a shit ton for inspring me to begin playing D&D at athe age of 36. I mean that sincerely as well as scarcastically.

What edition would you (or anyone else reading this) suggest for a first time group?

• Like 1

"I personally enjoy the specifics of the chart. Loosing an eye or a limb is much more dramatic than just general woundings."

Yeah, but you need a chart to let you know when it happens. And for that I laugh at you.

"I personally enjoy the specifics of the chart. Loosing an eye or a limb is much more dramatic than just general woundings."

Yeah, but you need a chart to let you know when it happens. And for that I laugh at you.

Again Craig, it's about consistency. When a 82 is rolled on the fumble/crit chart it should have the same result everytime an 82 is rolled. Pulling results out of your ass all of the time isn't fair to the players. I realize it's a fantasy world but I personally prefer some logic and legitimacy. Some don't and hey that's cool, but I'm not going to bag on them for offering alternatives. But I guess when you play in the hippy-dippy, free-love rules arena of 'whatever the DM feels like goes cuz he's all about imagination, hugs, and cuddle parties', then by all means, keep it up. I'd hate to be a player in your campaign when you're in a bad mood. But I'm guessing your middle-schoolers keep you plied with enough cheesy poofs, sour patch kids, and barely legal 4chan manga downloads to keep you keeping your campaign all easy victories, Monty Hall hauls, and just enough softcore interaction to maintain everyone at half mast. GAME ON BIG GUY! You are the music maker, you are the dreamer of dreams. Never stop letting those pink, puffy, pups suckle from your magically delicious snozberry teats of imagination, you will provide everything they need! And if they have a problem, fuck em', you're the DM right?

• Like 2

Dungeons & Dragons is Serious Business.

• Like 2

"Pulling results out of your ass all of the time isn't fair to the players."

Results and consequences are not the same thing. You roll results and create consequences based in context. I would slit my wrists in your campaign waiting for the DM to just get on with it instead of being painted into a corner of charts with 35 possible outcomes.

If you need a table or chart for anything beyond the core mechanics, you shouldn't be DMing.

• Like 1

I've never played D&D but I have read several of the books based on the universe my favorite being The Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore but I was wondering if you have read any of the book based on the universe and how would someone go about starting playing D&D
There are several ways really, one is to gather some friends, buy the books, and start playing (you can buy modules that will help you run a game). Alternatively my friends and I use a site (www.roll20.net) to play. There are many people gaming there and most will teach you.

Hey Mr. Sark,

Can you guys make a contest to bring a listener in on a session to play as a npc? You can do it via skype or conference call, if the winner lives far away.

Big fan of the show.

P.S. contacted vin diesel about the show, no response.

• Like 2

You can do it via skype or conference call, if the winner lives far away.

Or you could just fly me from Japan when I win. Trust me I'm worth it. ;)

Thanks a shit ton for inspring me to begin playing D&D at athe age of 36. I mean that sincerely as well as scarcastically.

What edition would you (or anyone else reading this) suggest for a first time group?

Another great way to try it out the first time is to go down to your local game store. Most stores in my area seem to be 99% Magic the Gathering nowadays, but I still find that most stores have a regular D&D night set up. They'd almost definitely let you drop in for a night to try it out.

Chances are you could use probably share a Player's Handbook with someone the first time, if you haven't gotten one yet.

The only thing you'll definitely need is your own dice. No one will share those... bad mojo!

Hey Mr. Sark,

Can you guys make a contest to bring a listener in on a session to play as a npc? You can do it via skype or conference call, if the winner lives far away.

Big fan of the show.

P.S. contacted vin diesel about the show, no response.

Haha this would be awesome. Whether it was a success OR a disaster. Maybe some day.

• Like 1

Why are you playing 4e if you guys normally play 2e?

Why are you playing 4e if you guys normally play 2e?

Curiosity. New leaf. Books smelled nice.

• Like 1

4th edition (what they play on the show) is pretty simple to get started on. You can buy a starter pack box set for like $20 or you can download it for free http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=9730_9739&pfrom=&pto=0&x=15&y=2

4E is kinda like playing an mmorpg (think World of Warcraft)

A lot of people prefer 3.5 or Pathfinder (which is basically a continuation of 3.5 but not "officially" Dungeons & Dragons) though 3E & 3.5E stuff may be a little harder to find since its out of print now.

As stated 4E has been discontinued now that they are working on D&D Next or 5E. You can get playtest rulesets for D&DNext/5E for free also http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDNext.aspx

Or find a local game/comic store that runs D&D Encounters http://locator.wizards.com/#brand=dnd

• Like 1

In addition to what Chaosound said above...if you look into Pathfinder and feel it sounds cool to you, they have a beginner box set for that as well. I never moved past 2nd edition AD&D, so I can't say if it's good or not. I've looked into Pathfinder as an option and it looked interesting. Worth doing some research. Best thing about an intro box set would be if everyone is new it's nice to have something designed just for that. I would imagine they include helpful info for the starting DM as well as players. Whatever you do, get ready to have a blast! I think it's so cool that the podcast is getting people into tabletop gaming regardless of age.

• Like 1

What was the worst act of betrayal a player ever committed against his or her own party?

I would enjoy an APL episode. It'd be fun to experience D&D from a noob's perspective. It may give some of the posters that are looking to get started an idea of the questions that may arise when first getting into the game.