🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
choochoo_the_wonder_slut

Questions for Sark

I am having trouble listening to the podcast on the site now. This didn't happen a few weeks ago, did you guys change some formatting? I know it could be my system but thought I would ask.

That might be a better question for the General Podcasting forums, or General Earwolf, as I'm guessing Sark doesn't have anything to do with post-produciton.

I am having trouble listening to the podcast on the site now. This didn't happen a few weeks ago, did you guys change some formatting? I know it could be my system but thought I would ask.

All Earwolf podcasts were migrated to the SoundCloud audio service over the past few weeks, and it turns out some employers are blocking said service. If you're trying to listen at work, try loading soundcloud.com in a web browser to see if that's the crux of your problem.

If you can load SoundCloud without issue, check out this thread in the General Earwolf forum for other troubleshooting steps that might help.

• Like 2

So next week...13 hours of NP goodness eh? eh? I'm sure the flight staff will love it when I spray my complimentary beverage out my nose somewhere over the Pacific.

• Like 1

Gerry & Hardwick's characters fought for sexytime with an especially attractive bar maid. Emotions ran hot and hatred grew. Hardwick's character ended up winning her affections. Then she was murdered and they realized how silly they'd been. Really touching stuff.

I love that this is essentially the plot of Grumpy Old Men.

• Like 2

Hey Sark

Wondered if you played any other board games, non D&D type I mean? I've only recently discovered that there's so many great board games out there post Monopoly/Ludo era. I particularly like the look of Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Island, but it's completely sold out everywhere.

All Earwolf podcasts were migrated to the SoundCloud audio service over the past few weeks, and it turns out some employers are blocking said service. If you're trying to listen at work, try loading soundcloud.com in a web browser to see if that's the crux of your problem. If you can load SoundCloud without issue, check out this thread in the General Earwolf forum for other troubleshooting steps that might help.

That was it, thanks so much Dan!

Hey Sark, since the PC's are getting advantages from the rules, leveling up etc.., why isn't Amarth being penalized for his gross alignment violations? killing the girl at the beginning, now killing a captive who's back is turned? And his killing of the man at the controls also doomed everyone else alive on the ship awake or not. Shit man he's about as chaotic evil as they come at this point. Fuck that guy.

• Like 1

What was the worst act of betrayal a player ever committed against his or her own party?

I think the worst it got was Gerry rolling up a new character and Brian beating him to death's door upon introduction, knowing exactly who it was. I can't remember the finer points of the encounter which leads me to believe that this has happened several times and they are getting crossed in my mind...

• Like 2

Ever consider innocently inviting APL in for a session, and then forcing him to roleplay an enormously obese female prostitute who tries to seduce Blackee?

I would enjoy an APL episode. It'd be fun to experience D&D from a noob's perspective. It may give some of the posters that are looking to get started an idea of the questions that may arise when first getting into the game.

APL says he is down. He also asked if there were sniper rifles. So... yeah.

*APL (Scott Fisher) is a producer/host I work with at Machinima.

• Like 1

Hey Sark

Wondered if you played any other board games, non D&D type I mean? I've only recently discovered that there's so many great board games out there post Monopoly/Ludo era. I particularly like the look of Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Island, but it's completely sold out everywhere.

I like board games. But with my current job demanding a lot of time spent in videogames I don't have as much time as I'd like to play so I haven't sampled many new ones. Some classics I like though: Stratego, Clue, Monoply (with jacked up rules), Risk, I really liked Risk 2210, and (unsurprisingly) HeroQuest is probably my favorite of all-time.

APL says he is down. He also asked if there were sniper rifles. So... yeah.

*APL (Scott Fisher) is a producer/host I work with at Machinima.

Hooray! Maybe he'll settle for a harpoon gun? *Love him!

This isn't a question, its a request. From a player who ended up having to be the tank and the healer (at the same time) for the better half of a campaign before my group (including the DM) realized it:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD READ PAGES 293 THROUGH 295 IN THE PLAYERS HANDBOOK 1!

These pages deal with Healing Surges and how/when they can be used, (Everyone has them and can use them) and Death and Dying (you don't automatically die when you reach 0 hit points). Yesterday I was listening to several episodes(6-11 I think) of Nerd Poker while at work it seemed neither you or Gerry had looked over this information or Ell Ryan might have survived his encounter with "The Sea".

Ell Ryan did not die from Hit Point depletion from the hooked ropes. He died contextually from drowning because he failed the difficulty check to remove the hook from his leg and did not use his final act to swim down to the bell. A Healing Surge would not have made much of a difference.

Is Sir Richard starting at lv1 or have you leveled him to match the group?

Hey Sark, think there is any capability of doing a live episode? Another podcast that I listen to does these on occasions and has a stream for comments available. Although, it may lead to 60 minutes of just Brian saying, "fuck you, internet."

• Like 1

This isn't a question, its a request. From a player who ended up having to be the tank and the healer (at the same time) for the better half of a campaign before my group (including the DM) realized it:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD READ PAGES 293 THROUGH 295 IN THE PLAYERS HANDBOOK 1!

These pages deal with Healing Surges and how/when they can be used, (Everyone has them and can use them) and Death and Dying (you don't automatically die when you reach 0 hit points). Yesterday I was listening to several episodes(6-11 I think) of Nerd Poker while at work it seemed neither you or Gerry had looked over this information or Ell Ryan might have survived his encounter with "The Sea".

Haha yeah. Healing surges have relatively recently been added to our play, but unfortunately they wouldn't have saved poor Ell Ryan. Probably scrapping 4th in a few anyway because it feels a bit too miniatures / map reliant for the podcast setup we have and the grid-based movement slows us a down a bit. Just our opinion. I'd actually enjoy playing a good 4th edition game, but not so much for my campaigns.

Any great DM uses the rules to make things easier, the game flow better or to increase the fun. It's a bad DM who slavishly adheres to every little clause. The rules shouldn't be a crutch or a burden.

Sark has done a formidable job at turning grid based-tabletop game into an engaging Sci-Fi Fantasy narrative game. All this campaign needs is the Loc-Nar and a B-17.

I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet, and I'm only 12 episodes in, but have you considered using web-based game table tools in order to rectify your grid map vs. table space issues?

http://roll20.net/ can be pretty useful and you could have a battle map on a laptop, which could save you some space.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet, and I'm only 12 episodes in, but have you considered using web-based game table tools in order to rectify your grid map vs. table space issues?

http://roll20.net/ can be pretty useful and you could have a battle map on a laptop, which could save you some space.

My friends and I just got this and holy shit is it awesome. We all live in different areas of the country and it makes it possible for us to play. The voice chat component is kinda whack (not that it would be an issue for you guys) but thats easily solvable with ventrilo or another chat client. Functionally the program is great. The DM has tons of options for icons, maps, ect. You can even use "fog of war" and only reveal parts of the map at a time to the players.

Also I have to say, paying the TENBUX for the DnD character creator was the best money I have spent in a while. I have never had an easier time making a D&D character.

I just realized it looks like I get kick backs or something from those companies, but honestly I am just a happy nerd who has discovered some cool shit I would have stabbed a man for 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Is Sir Richard starting at lv1 or have you leveled him to match the group?

He's starting at level 2 (2 levels behind the others).

Hey Sark, think there is any capability of doing a live episode? Another podcast that I listen to does these on occasions and has a stream for comments available. Although, it may lead to 60 minutes of just Brian saying, "fuck you, internet."

No sure about capability. Not sure if it would even be cool. The only live runs I've heard are the PAX guys game and Harmontown. They pull it off, but it seems like a lot of distractions.

Would you guys ever consider recording a session completely shitfaced?

When all of us move in together! Or when Earwolf gets bunk beds. We gather after work so we're already pretty beat when we start playing.