🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

A lot of big movie stars are regretting agreeing to be in this bomb. Many critics are giving it zero out of four stars

I just saw it today and it's not as bad as many people have been saying. I'm not saying it will be a classic but will definitely have a cult following. Most people were commenting on all of the crap humor that was supposed to be rampant but outside of the one sketch with Anna Farris wanting someone to crap on her, there were about four other fart jokes in the whole movie. This movie is unfortunately stuck in the land of previous shitty parody movies like anything made after Scary Movie 2 where pop culture references are shoe horned in just because, and that inAPPropriate Movie from the Shamwow guy that is offensive without no reason for being so outside of being offensive.

Yes this movie does push the envelope when it can but it does so without being too on the nose for the most part. Skits like the game of Truth or Dare with Halle Berry and the parents that homeschool their kid giving him a full high school experience are great while things like the skit with Emma Stone and or Jason Sudeikis as Batman just oversold everything.

It looked dumb beyond dumb from the start, and its uninspired name pretty much gives it away. I dont even want to give this shit undeserved attention.

I tried to search the forum for this but it said it didn't match any results! How is this possible? How did that film get made?

Or is there some reason why that film hasn't been mentioned?

Or maybe it's just so bad, it's not even worth doing. I mean, it's hard to make fun of it when it's so blatantly shit. A film needs to somehow been seen as trying to be good (and failing) to be funny right?

Still. It is possibly the worst film ever.

I just saw it today and it's not as bad as many people have been saying. I'm not saying it will be a classic but will definitely have a cult following. Most people were commenting on all of the crap humor that was supposed to be rampant but outside of the one sketch with Anna Farris wanting someone to crap on her, there were about four other fart jokes in the whole movie. This movie is unfortunately stuck in the land of previous shitty parody movies like anything made after Scary Movie 2 where pop culture references are shoe horned in just because, and that inAPPropriate Movie from the Shamwow guy that is offensive without no reason for being so outside of being offensive.

Yes this movie does push the envelope when it can but it does so without being too on the nose for the most part. Skits like the game of Truth or Dare with Halle Berry and the parents that homeschool their kid giving him a full high school experience are great while things like the skit with Emma Stone and or Jason Sudeikis as Batman just oversold everything.

I would be so very surprised and confused if this movie had anything close to a cult following. It had a handful of chuckle worthy moments but it was overall just painfully unfunny to the point where I just felt kind of secondhand embarrassment for everybody involved. I honestly think this movie is simply just going to fade into obscurity.

In a world where movies made by Uwe Boll or the guys who've made basically all the spoof movies in the last decade can have a cult following of any sort, I can see this getting the same. And not for the whole film but whatever skits may have made a person chuckle. What I think got everyone on board was the idea of being able to let loose and do something many wouldn't expect these A-list actors doing in their current state of their careers, with each skit being done by different directors, they thought it could work. And the thing about it is, most of them are really trying in this, but yet it lands flat in most of the skits. Though apparently Bob Odenkirk really struck out with this movie as he apparently did a couple sketches and they were so bad that they were outright cut from the film.

When I think "cult following" I think films that weren't commercial hits but have a sizable contingent of loyal passionate fans, and I don't think Uwe Boll films or those spoof movies really have that, there are people with bad taste who like those films but they're not really a cult following, are they? I don't think Movie 43 will have any sort of following because out of the very few people who saw it, the sheer majority thought it was awful. Most cult movies have some kind of merit or there's something really memorable about them. But this is a movie that almost nobody saw or liked, and the only reason it's even being remembered and discussed right now is because this is a forum about shitty movies. So, agree to disagree I guess. I don't think this movie has any sort of significant following in it's future. Maybe I'm wrong and you're right though, these types of things are often unpredictable.

these types of things are often unpredictable.

Definitely, and I was thinking cult movie as this movie, with almost zero marketing and shit reviews, still somehow made almost 30 million dollars in theaters, and movies have made much less and become cult films.

Definitely, and I was thinking cult movie as this movie, with almost zero marketing and shit reviews, still somehow made almost 30 million dollars in theaters, and movies have made much less and become cult films.

You have to look at the kind of audience that actually saw the film though, and while I work at a theater, I'll be damned if I know if there WAS a type of audience for this film. I think it was mostly kids trying to sneak in that were easy to catch (yeah, not too difficult when we sold only a handful of tickets for any given showtime) or people that go to those God-awful "Movie" movies that probably forgot they saw them by the time the next one came along. These aren't the people that create any sort of buzz that boost a film to cult status, and it's not likely to be discovered by anyone that will. Speaking of that, I'd like to see what the DVD sales are like for the Seltzer/Friedberg films, as I imagine they have no shelf life whatsoever since their gimmick is "OMG! We're referencing things that were popular two weeks ago!".

This thing made 30 million, sure, but most of that was international, and even then, that's just a drop in the bucket. I'd guarantee that the fact that there were like a million recognizable names in this thing helped make this thing way more money than it would have made otherwise.

Movies have made much less and become cult films, but that's usually because they're good, so bad they're good, or memorable in some way amongst like-minded people. It doesn't matter if $30 million worth of people went to see a movie if they mostly leave hating it. You know? You don't gain a following by just being a bad movie nobody likes.

these are the kind of movies that everything that was funny in the movie, is in the trailer and so when you rent it and watch it you are so let down. Just my two cents on the subject.

these are the kind of movies that everything that was funny in the movie, is in the trailer and so when you rent it and watch it you are so let down. Just my two cents on the subject.

If that's the case, I can confidently say this movie did not contain any funny moments.

If that's the case, I can confidently say this movie did not contain any funny moments.

You are correct sir.

Okay, this movie is awful. The 4% it got on Rotten Tomatoes is generous. It's on Netflix now and I just got through the whole thing. It features: Hugh Jackman, Anna Faris, Gerard Butler, Richard Gere, Halle Berry, Stephen Merchant, Emma Stone and so many other talented actors that it truly begs the question, "How did this get made?".

This movie is ridiculous. It's about some guy who wrote a shitty screenplay and holds a studio exec at gunpoint to get it made. The shitty movie is the dozen or so short sketches that are across the board, terrible and don't seem to be related in any way shape or form.

But seriously, how were all these competent actors convinced to make this movie of which one critic said, "Some movies should be reviewed; others should simply be warned about. Movie 43 is now showing at theaters and drive-ins everywhere. Beware."?

Okay, this movie is awful. The 4% it got on Rotten Tomatoes is generous. It's on Netflix now and I just got through the whole thing. It features: Hugh Jackman, Anna Faris, Gerard Butler, Richard Gere, Halle Berry, Stephen Merchant, Emma Stone and so many other talented actors that it truly begs the question, "How did this get made?".

This movie is ridiculous. It's about some guy who wrote a shitty screenplay and holds a studio exec at gunpoint to get it made. The shitty movie is the dozen or so short sketches that are across the board, terrible and don't seem to be related in any way shape or form.

But seriously, how were all these competent actors convinced to make this movie of which one critic said, "Some movies should be reviewed; others should simply be warned about. Movie 43 is now showing at theaters and drive-ins everywhere. Beware."?

The movie was made over 4 years with the sketches being filmed when they could convince someone to sign on. Basically, someone convinced Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet to be in a sketch.

Here's an article on it. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jan/29/movie-43-hollywood-humiliation

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this