🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 24 — Mind-Blowing Ideas About Alien Life

Have you ever wondered why UFO sightings aren't really a thing anymore? It's because cell phone cameras exist. On this week's podcast, Jack O'Brien, Jason Pargin (aka David Wong) and the ever effervescent Abe Epperson discuss aliens -- why we're pretty damn lucky we've never met any and how one offhand statement created the "flying saucer" as we know it. Throw on your headphones and click play above.

Not that it makes much of a difference, but the "Australian flying squirrel" is called a sugar glider.

Thanks for making this podcast to explain this to people. This is why Shyamalan's Signs gets written off by people, because they are too ignorant to see through their own assumptions. They always assume the aliens there are basically acting like we would, and have made such a nonsensically bad decision to attack a water planet that the movie fails suspension of disbelief. I maintain, for reasons similar to explained on this podcast, you have to make 1000 biased assumptions to reach that conclusion. What if the Signs aliens have backups and clones of themselves and don't especially care about risking their physical forms? What if people they came here for are so valuable to them its worth risking their lives? (think of Alaskan fishing, or mines around active volcanoes, or any number of expensive things on Earth people put labourers in risky conditions to acquire.) What if the aliens we saw are just slaves or convicted criminals of another alien race, using them like the brigades of insane people Stalin sent out in WWII as essentially suicide reconnaissance

tl;dr: Signs was good and if you disagree you're just too preprogrammed to assume Vulcans with rational motivations and not able to see Shyamalan's deep genius in crafting his movies to do things outside our expectations (PS he never says he's the messiah in Lady in the Water either, he just says he's the guy that would write something to change the world, he could be Hitler writing Mein Kampf, but everyone was just sick of him by that point and was predisposed to blame it on his imagined ballooning ego, envious of his success)

Wow, that was so ironic that you almost Somalianed me into thinking that you seriously consider M. Night Somalian a genius!

Well played.

Wow, that was so ironic that you almost Somalianed me into thinking that you seriously consider M. Night Somalian a genius!

Well played.

It's Shyamalan.

Also, he's not from Somalia

It's Shyamalan.

Also, he's not from Somalia

You are really observant of irony. Keep it up!

I love the various layers that Cracked offers: boobies and (fun) bullshit on the site, pop culture analysis couched in entertainment on After Hours, and almost nigh scholarly insight on the podcast. win/win/win