🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 146.5 — Sklarbro County 51

Marc Maron leaves the Cat Ranch and joins the County boys to talk about his experience doing Howard Stern for the first time, his reception of his IFC show Maron, and having to replace an essay in his new book “Attempting Normal.” Dan Van Kirk then breaks down some crazy stories that include; an elderly Boonville man who pummels an intruder with a shovel and then dares him to come back for more on Craigslist, a Florida man who while tripping on acid claims to be God & asks cops to cut off his penis, and another Florida man who hurts himself while hunting squirrels with a homemade BB gun hunting rifle. And if that’s not enough, we have a voicemail update from Bryant Gumbel! Lock the gates, punch waterfalls, and enjoy!

This was an amazing episode. I'm sure most people who listen to a lot of podcasts are getting tired of Maron making the rounds, but I still really enjoy his appearances. This might have been one of my favorites of his lately.

I especially enjoyed the little talk about hallucinogenics - Maron's description was perfect.

Great County, as always.

I'm sure most people who listen to a lot of podcasts are getting tired of Maron making the rounds, but I still really enjoy his appearances. This might have been one of my favorites of his lately.

I am, but I liked it a lot too. I thought there was plenty of room for Maron to be himself, but it didn't mess with the usual feel of the show like his appearance on CBB did. And of course a Gumbel call makes any episode an automatic thumbs up for me.

I'm sure most people who listen to a lot of podcasts are getting tired of Maron making the rounds, but I still really enjoy his appearances.
I am, but I liked it a lot too. I thought there was plenty of room for Maron to be himself, but it didn't mess with the usual feel of the show like his appearance on CBB did.

And DC Pierson before him, and Jen Kirkman before him. This is the Sacred Unwritten Contract of Podcasting; comedians give us so many hours of enjoyment for free, with the understanding that they will periodically carpetbomb us when they have product to move.

Counting down from 1, Rule #-3 of podcasts is "It's okay to turn it off if you're not feeling it."

And DC Pierson before him, and Jen Kirkman before him. This is the Sacred Unwritten Contract of Podcasting; comedians give us so many hours of enjoyment for free, with the understanding that they will periodically carpetbomb us when they have product to move.

Counting down from 1, Rule #-3 of podcasts is "It's okay to turn it off if you're not feeling it."

Yeah, like I said, I really enjoyed this episode, and I actually did enjoy his CBB episode overall. These are among my very favorite podcasts, so I'm just not going to skip (or drop out of) an episode of either. Part of what makes both great is that they're so much more than interviews, so even if a guest is saying something you've heard three times already, that might only be like 5% of the show. I did skip his Nerdist episode.

As far as the promotional aspect goes, there are probably PR experts who would tell you otherwise, but I think they'd actually be better off spreading these things out. It's different for a book than for a TV show since you can buy/read it anytime (obviously that's true for TV now too, but networks are putting a big emphasis on getting live viewers), but with a TV season of ten episodes or whatever, it might help to remind people about the show mid-way through if they missed early episodes. It might also be smart to not over-expose them before the season even starts, which could have the opposite of the intended effect.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this