🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 247 — Running With My Walkman

The Sklars kick off the show with in depth analysis of what it's like to be an elite runner who insists on wearing sandals and why sportsmanlike conduct in Formula 1 racing is a thing of the past. Then, Randy and Jason welcome to the show singer-songwriter Aimee Mann, who discusses what it's like to look back on your music and see how its evolved over time. Additionally, Aimee, who has close ties to Floyd Mayweather's trainer, gives insight into his upcoming fight of the century. Later, in Quickhits, the gang discusses impromptu erections, as well as Manny Pacquiao's latest music endeavors. Lastly, Bryant Gumbel calls in to continue the celebration of this, his 20th season of Real Sports, with some comedy!

Running in flip-flops? Yeah, I know a guy. Well actually, I've run with him a little bit (he runs with everybody!). He's Larry Perrier, and he's known as the flip flop man. There is even a video of him:

http://www.sptimes.c...an__steps.shtml

Okay, so we have a lot of fun at the expense of Florida, but Larry is a positive part of Florida.

The first time I encountered him, it was dream-like. I'm heading across a long straight bridge, at the far end (about half-a-mile) I see somebody running, but they are wearing a cape. I figure my jostling while I run, coupled with the distance is messing with my perception. A minute later, I look up, we're even closer, same problem. A person running with a cape flowing behind them. Another minute passes, and we are close, I need to be on guard, because this isn't making sense.

Boom, just as he goes by, he's wearing the straw hat, a poncho that is only tied at his neck, no shirt, wearing flip-flops, and carrying a quarterstaff. Mind blown.

A year passed, and then I stumbled onto an article about him, and realized he wasn't just part of my imagination. I took a picture with him the one day I ran with him. He has aged quite a bit the last couple years, but he ran me into the ground, and he talked the whole way! All I could manage to do was huff & puff.

Sorry, this was supposed to be about the podcast, but when you meet these folks in real life, you have to share.

15906347775_5c271c61a0_o.jpg

As far as Lewis Hamilton's F1 champagne bath, in F1 it is known, that when the bottles are brought to the podium, all other folks are supposed to leave. The podium will have the top three racers, and a representative from the winning team. Four people on the podium only. If you stay on the podium, you are telling everyone that you are sharing the celebration. He shouldn't be punished, because she would have been told beforehand, and would have been directed in dress rehearsals. Monaco is the lone difference, the drivers have to step away from the podium, since they are given the race trophies by the royal family. The F1 podium is carefully scripted.

The only time there is no champagne celebration is if there is a disaster, or if somebody has lost their life during the race.

• Like 1

Great episode. Aimee is always a treat and I liked the balance they struck between discussing her career and sports. [That said, I had to laugh at the idea that she should put her old albums out on vinyl so that people can hear them, as if that's the way that most people consume music, and/or they're otherwise unavailable.]

Also, lots of good potentially-titular lines, including "Boxing Kangaroo".

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this