🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EthanBatstone

Dangerous Men (2005)

I honestly don't know how to obtain a copy of this movie, but based on what I had heard from word of mouth and now the review from The Hollywood Reporter wishing MST3K was still around to riff on this movie... I really think it might be worth it! THR review HERE.

So, I'm not sure if you've ever had this one suggested, but the Alamo Drafthouse just started featuring a movie called Dangerous Men. It is easily the worst movie I've ever seen in the theater, and completely enjoyable because of this fact. Everything about this is bad. The acting, soundtrack, audio, directing, story, and any other element you could think of is gloriously terrible. What's more, it's all done by a guy by the name of "John Rad", and took 30 YEARS to complete!!!! The only reason I could possibly think of to not discuss this movie in your podcast is that the movie alone is so hilarious, you might have a hard time building on that, but I'm probably wrong, I'll leave it to the experts. At the very least, watch this movie, especially if you're near an Alamo Drafthouse. I think there's one in SF now, which I believe is a stone throw from LA (give or take several stones).

I just finished watching Dangerous Men, which is now available for rent on itunes. The whole time I kept thinking, "How Did This Get Made has to do this movie!" I don't think I've ever compared another movie to The Room because nothing has ever come close before, but this movie is like The Room meets an 80s action movie meets the short film my college roommate made and got a D on. From bizarre casting choices to awkward cuts to upbeat video game music playing over rape/murder scenes, nothing this movie does makes any sense. Also, apparently this movie was made over the course of 26 years. I'd love to hear the back story on that. Please Jason, June and Paul, put whatever other movies you're considering on the back burner and watch Dangerous Men immediately!

trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slg3wwWqt6I

Forgot to mention multiple unexplained foreign accents, a "sexy" dance by a lady in a giant Hard Rock Cafe jersey and a "dad"who is maybe at most 5 years older than his "daughter".

The director is actually an Iranian named Jahangir Salehi, and he died in 2007. I'm assuming someone at the Alamo Drafthouse (probably Zack Carlson, also responsible for bringing us Miami Connection) bought the rights from Salehi just before he died and decided to change the director's name to "John Rad" for maximum ironic sales potential.

This is an unfinished film that was hastily edited together to make Drafthouse fodder for hungry good-bad movie audiences. The marketing for this just rubs me the wrong way -- nothing smells funnier than when ironic "bad" films are forced. It's the same reason why The Room or Birdemic were lighting in a bottle, one time events.

This movie is amazingly awesome and is 100% perfect for How Did This Get Made. I'm not sure where 24 Hour Party Pizza got their information but John Rad/Salehi was still alive when this movie was released in 3 Los Angeles theaters in 2005. So I'm pretty sure it's the movie he wanted to make and it's not unfinished. It's just terrible in an indescribably entertaining way. It must be a HDTGM episode!

Dangerous Men is funnier than The Room and more what-the-fuck than Birdemic. Yes, I'm serious.

Sign in to follow this