🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 828 - Jewish Folks

Kat Ahn and Abby Brosh join Andrew to talk about a caller's question about Jewish folks. Make sure to leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

This episode was kind of sickening, even though it did have one genuine laugh (the caller's unironic "I've got nothing against these people!"). It's probably too much to expect from an American based podcast to consider that there are countries other than the USA, and that things happened even in America prior to the last couple of decades, but it would be heartening if people who consider themselves progressive (is that an unfounded assumption on my part?) were able to look a little bit beyond their own experiences.

It may not be my place to speak on this topic since I'm also not Jewish, but from my understanding, the reason many Jewish people are considered/consider themselves a separate race is because, up until pretty recently, they were treated as such. The fact that they look white means nothing when you consider the discrimination they've faced throughout the past century. You can't look a Holocaust survivor in the eye and insist that he/she has enjoyed the same privileges as Anglo-Saxon folks. There are certainly instances of other groups of people with histories of discrimination who now pass as white (Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, etc.), but the oppression they faced is nothing considered to what Jewish people have gone through in the past century.

Sign in to follow this