🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
devincf

Episode #87: THE GENERAL

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is THE GENERAL Canon worthy?

• Choo choo!
    • No no!

Too much train stuff, Devin??? This is the definitive train movie! And yes, it's certainly not Keaton's funniest movie. This is much more of an adventure than a comedy. But it's an undeniable masterpiece. Even having seen it numerous times, I'm still in awe every time I watch some of the stunts in the film.

So....I vote no. It's a personal preference thing for me. I like other Keaton work. I don't like this one. I don't like the lost cause stuff (grew up in the south so I've had my fill of that noise). I don't like the endless train stuff. I don't like that it looks nothing like the south. I don't like the central conflict or characters. It's just not a Keaton movie I particularly like, but it's the one that I've watched the most because it's the one that's been deemed historically important and so has been shown to me or assigned to me, etc.

I get that it's held in historical esteem, but that's not really a good enough reason for me to recommend friends watch the movie. If someone ever asked me if they should watch The General, I'd only recommend it for two reasons: 1) they're a big Keaton fan who just hasn't seen his most touted movie for whatever weird reason 2) they're one of those who need to see all the movies on the critics top 100 lists because this one is definitely on those lists.

• Like 1

Oof, I'd love to write about this movie, but it's been a rough week and everyone has put it all much better then I could.

I'm ultimately between Devin and Amy on this one. I like it more then Devin, but it also fell a little flatter to me then I expected. Honestly, I still get self-conscious when I feel any kind of flat on a lauded classic. Who am I to say The General was "fine?"

But thankfully I did get enough voltage out of it to give it a soft yes on top of the obvious credit it deserves that didn't do much for me chemically. So I needn't worry too much, but I don't quite see the "massively underrated cinematic epic" angle.

Re: Cronopio - You didn't lose all the Re-Animator touters, bay-bay! Although it seems like a bad pairing to defend a hard yes for Re-Animator after a soft yes for The General. Hey, maybe I don't have taste.

• Like 1

Re: Cronopio - You didn't lose all the Re-Animator touters, bay-bay! Although it seems like a bad pairing to defend a hard yes for Re-Animator after a soft yes for The General. Hey, maybe I don't have taste.

I voted YES for Re Animator as well - I was just commenting on the amount of votes when Devin called in his troops to support Re Animator, compared to this week.

• Like 1

I voted YES for Re Animator as well - I was just commenting on the amount of votes when Devin called in his troops to support Re Animator, compared to this week.

Oh, my mistake. Yeah, I guess they share his reluctance to watch silent films at home.

For anyone having difficulty watching silent films at home, may I ask what you're watching them on? Since buying a projector, I've found them easier to watch. I wonder if large screens in general make it easier. I realize not everyone can afford a big screen or a projector but I couldn't imagine trying to watch this on a computer.

This isn't really relevant to the discussion of whether it belongs in the Canon, but it's cool nonetheless - A friend brought this to my attention - Apparently, in order to celebrate the film's 90th anniversary (and the fact that the film was shot in Cottage Grove, OR), they're playing it all around the state with brand new original score by renowned Portland composer Mark Orton. During the week-long tour the score will be performed live by an all-star seven-piece ensemble featuring members of Tin Hat and the Oregon Symphony

I'm on the fence if I'm going to go. One of the days it's playing anywhere close to me is my birthday, and the other is a Friday night after work. Plus, I literally just watched this movie before the Canon episode. That being said, seeing it on the big screen & with a live orchestra would be pretty sweet.

I'm not sure if there are any other Oregonians here besides me, but here are the dates just in case

Friday, August 12: Hollywood Theatre

Saturday, August 13: Bohemia Park (outdoor screening), Cottage Grove, OR

Sunday, August 14: Egyptian Theatre, Coos Bay, OR

Tuesday, August 16: Tower Theatre, Bend, OR

Wednesday, August 17: Ross Ragland Theater, Klamath Falls, OR

Friday, August 19: Hollywood Theatre, Portland, OR