🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Llewellyn_Wells

Amélie (2001)

Fresh off the BBC listings, which this placed and our esteemed hosts both submitted for, and in addition to that, Amy mentioned post-TIFFANYS about the lack of female protagonists, it's a great picture, and I'd love to hear them talk about it. AND it's a foreign film, which we're due for (that's not a complaint!)

I love it, curious to hear thoughts.

• Like 2

I'm so ****ing down for this! Granted, I'd rather the less-attention-grabbing A Very Long Engagement get the attention, as I personally prefer it as a watch, but as I have a rudimentary understanding of Canon probability, I know it'll never happen. 'Cuz ain't nobody's heard of it who hasn't already seeen Amelie.

Any Jeunet. City of Lost Children. S'all good. We still haven't gotten a Gilliam, but Jeunet's plenty good for scratching that itch, I must say.

Also, Dark City, Director's Cut if at all possible. See it if you like ANY film mentioned here. Any. And that's all I got here.

I'm so ****ing down for this! Granted, I'd rather the less-attention-grabbing A Very Long Engagement get the attention, as I personally prefer it as a watch, but as I have a rudimentary understanding of Canon probability, I know it'll never happen. 'Cuz ain't nobody's heard of it who hasn't already seeen Amelie.

Any Jeunet. City of Lost Children. S'all good. We still haven't gotten a Gilliam, but Jeunet's plenty good for scratching that itch, I must say.

Also, Dark City, Director's Cut if at all possible. See it if you like ANY film mentioned here. Any. And that's all I got here.

Amen, to ALL of this.

I suggested Jeunet way back when, so I'm on board with Amelie.

Speaking of Dark City, what the hell happened to Alex Proyas? Gods of Egypt is a rough way to go.

Speaking of Dark City, what the hell happened to Alex Proyas? Gods of Egypt is a rough way to go.

1. Dark City happened. More specifically, its box office. His next movie, six years later, was "I Robot"*. Yeah......

2. As for Gods of Egypt...that's one of the most baffling productions I've heard of in a while. Not that I've heard anything specific. I'd love to. There's gotta be a story there. A baffling one.

$140 million. For a film not based on any existing IP, but based on a subject 99% of the audience probably know next-to-nothing about. By a writer/producer/director who, while coming off of two modest successes (at best, international grosses are hard to account for), never had a true blockbuster. He's made five films in 22 years. And he's not Kubrick.

I'm sure we all want more original big-budget films. But every time a Gods of Egypt is made, probably five original ideas get the axe.

* - Yes, I know that title was added really late in production.

Amélie is a funny one. I found it really nice on first viewing, but more than a little irritating the second time around. Nothing specific, it was just the WHIMSICAL!!! nature of it that grated on me. I still found the bit with the garden gnomes great, though.

As for Proyas... what to say? Maybe he had one good film in him.