🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewKenlon

The Wicker Man (1973)

Considering there hasn't been a Christopher Lee movie included in the Canon yet, I'd be interested in hearing what Devin and Amy think of The Wicker Man especially considering Lee always cited it as his favorite performance.

It's frequently hailed as one of the most iconic cult films and I think it'd be a worthy addition to the Canon. The performances from Edward Woodward and Lee are fantastic and the film does a wonderful job at creating a sense of dread contrasted with the bright, cheerful atmosphere of Summerisle. One of the things I love about the film too is that it's not relegated to one specific genre. It's often labeled as a horror film but it's also part mystery, thriller, and even musical with a variety of strange and memorable numbers.

Without spoiling anything, it also features an iconic twist that stays with the viewer long after the fact in my opinion. Whenever I see a list featuring the scariest films ever made, this often makes the cut and rightfully so. I don't think I've ever heard Devin or Amy mention it before so I'd be curious as to what they make of it since it is a strange film.

• Like 1

Is there a definitive release/version of this? Following all of the releases of the film is so confusing that I never watched it, not knowing which version to hunt down. Even the most recent "final cut" version apparently is 91 minutes in the US and 95 minutes in the rest of the world, or something like that.

Is there a definitive release/version of this? Following all of the releases of the film is so confusing that I never watched it, not knowing which version to hunt down. Even the most recent "final cut" version apparently is 91 minutes in the US and 95 minutes in the rest of the world, or something like that.

If you've never seen it, I'd recommend picking up the "Final Cut" Blu-ray version. The running time discrepancy for that is weird since my copy runs at 93 minutes which is the normal version. The theatrical cut, which is the most readily available version you can find on Amazon and iTunes, is fine but it is shortened down and feels disjointed (one sequence in particular in the second half of the film is moved towards the beginning and feels gratiutious) whereas the Extended Version does have more scenes but the quality is poor since the original print has been lost so that version will range from DVD to VHS quality when you're watching it. The Final Cut takes two of the most important additions from the Extended Version and while the quality is not as good as the rest of the film (it does look washed out compared to the rest of the transfer), it's still not as jarring a viewing experience as say the extended version is. The rest of the scenes from the Extended Version that aren't in the Final Cut are superfluous so your best bet is probably the Blu-ray.

• Like 1

Would absolutely be a yes from me. Not only for being a quintessentially 70s slow burner, but also for its uniquely English Isles sensibility. Filmed in Scotland, containing music based on the poems of Scottish icon Robert Burns, and with an underlying theme of English Christian imperialism vs Scottish indigenous identity. The soundtrack has been influential on the British folk of the 1970s, notably Pentangle, whose members have performed the music in recent times, as well as neo-folk groups like Espers and White Magic. (All these elements were absent in the 2006 American remake, rendering the film mostly pointless.)

A pagan classic elevated by some fine performances and a seminal soundtrack. The final scene is one of my favorite moments in any film ever, as Sgt Howie's faith is shaken as he begins to burn -- his screams are truly terrifying.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this