🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
IRONicmerMAN

Thanksgiving Films

I think Thanksgiving is the holiday equivalent of flyover country when it comes to noteworthy films. There's a lot to pick from when it comes to Halloween and Christmas.

There's not as many to pick from for Turkeypalooza, but this list includes a Garry Marshall offering (maybe Paul F Tompkins could guest host, because...it's been a while!), Paul Blart and Son in Law. There are even horror films to choose from!

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_films_set_around_Thanksgiving

Do people seek out Thanksgiving-themed films to watch around the holiday? Probably not, but maybe this will start a movement. It could also inspire new filmmakers to focus on the holiday for future films! Eh, probably not.

• Like 1

Don't forget the fact that November Thanksgiving is a one-country only deal, which has to give producers pause when promoting in foreign territories. Here in Canada our Thanksgiving's been done for a month - not sure how well a Garry Marshall-style 'Thanksgiving' would do up here (although of course I would very much welcome a PFT Garry Marshall return, even though the actual GM died this year) and even less so overseas.

But it's still more saleable than Purim! (That's a 'For Your Consideration' reference, not any kind of slight on the Jewish holidays)

• Like 1

Don't forget the fact that November Thanksgiving is a one-country only deal, which has to give producers pause when promoting in foreign territories. Here in Canada our Thanksgiving's been done for a month - not sure how well a Garry Marshall-style 'Thanksgiving' would do up here (although of course I would very much welcome a PFT Garry Marshall return, even though the actual GM died this year) and even less so overseas.

But it's still more saleable than Purim! (That's a 'For Your Consideration' reference, not any kind of slight on the Jewish holidays)

You mean the Brits don't celebrate our holiday out of spite? I do remember the October placement for Thanksgiving in Canada. How big is Halloween up that way? Do most people go as hockey players or wendigo? My pick would be the latter.

I thought a Garry Marshall episode would be a nice crossover from Comedy Bang Bang, because Tompkins has done the character in the past. Really, this was my shameless plug to get more Tompkins air time. He's amazing.

• Like 1

Completely agreed on the Tompkins front. As a relative newcomer to the Earwolf scene, I first HEARD of PFT when he did I Was There Too (I know) and have been steadily catching up ever since, including listening to CBB from the start (it's still CDR to me) and my current joy, The Pod F. Tompkast. I think the more PFT we can get, the better. In fact, when an old friend of mine from university guested on CBB earlier this year I couldn't figure out if I was more jazzed about him being on a show with Scott Aukerman or if it was because PFT was on the same ep. Serious man crush.

In terms of Thanksgiving, it's a more restrained affair, but Americanisms are creeping in, including our very own Black Monday (-lite). We don't associate Thanksgiving with football necessarily. I will suggest a wendigo theme next time around. Sounds like just the spice we need. Oh! You mean Halloween! Not Thanksgiving. There are some hockey players - I took my kids out last year in their costumes and I was wearing a Leafs jersey. 9/10 people giving out candy said "Oh, yours is the scariest costume of all!" Jerks. In a word, Halloween is huge up here.

• Like 1