🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gilbertgantry

Antipodean Summah

Hey Wie Wie,

I saw on twitter this morning some guy recommended coming to Australia later this year to have another Summah. I heartily agree, and can assure you that the benefits will extend far beyond the potential opportunities for stalking your Perth girl. But the main point of writing is to say why I believe the Southern Hemisphere has the right idea when it comes to Summah Scheduling. In the North, you guys have a 3 month window in the middle of the year to enjoy the Summah, and a few months either side where non-Summah is at least bearable. But you start and end the year with cold weather, rain, and in many places, heavy snow. That can't be good for the soul.

In Australia, and the rest of the Southern Hemisphere however, our year is bookended by those unforgettable Summah moments. When Summah ends and I'm feeling depressed, I know that I just have to get through a few months of non-Summah in the middle of the year and then those rays will return again. I had my first visit to the beach last weekend, and now have until the end of April to get lousy in the Australian Summah. It's a far superior system.

Anyway, Australia would be honoured to host the official ambassador for Summah. You could make it the first stop in a round the world Summah tour, finding out how people around the world choose to celebrate that magical time of the year.

Sign in to follow this