🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
joel_rosenbaum

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

Back in the previous iteration of the Canon, I suggested Eddie Murphy comedies -- really any of them. Well, in light of the Ghostbusters episode, I think Beverly Hills Cop deserves a dedicated suggestion.

The long and short of it is that Beverly Hills Cop established Eddie Murphy as the first mainstream black movie star, is the highest grossing comedy of all time, and the template for the buddy cop genre (for better or worse). I would also argue that it's the best action comedy ever made, although I'm sure others would disagree.

vs Coming to America.

I think it's Eddie's best comedy ever, as well as one of the best from anyone in the decade. It's also from his "later" Golden Age period, after all the fame had gone to his head. But my God, what a production! Beverly Hills Cop was red-hot Eddie being dropped into a rejected Stallone movie and re-molding it on the fly. But Coming to America is his movie from the start, a perfect showcase for his talents, and those of a wonderful ensemble cast. Arsenio Hall would have stolen the whole film out from under him, had Eddie not been playing at least four characters.

Also, Amazon's streaming it.

I'm aware The Canon is currently threatening to get too 80s again. Which I never mind. But whenever Amy feels it's safe, I'd ADORE this matchup.

• Like 1

I'm aware The Canon is currently threatening to get too 80s again. Which I never mind. But whenever Amy feels it's safe, I'd ADORE this matchup.

I'll miss the opportunity to hear Devin speak about his Zamundan coin, however.

Would love to hear 48 Hours vs. Beverly Hills Cop or Trading Places vs. Coming to America.

Both 48 Hrs and BHC are actually fairly light on comedy. They play out as straight action films with dashes of humor coutersy of one of the most charamastic actors of all time in his prime.

The two Murphy/Landis films are near perfect comedies that touch on class as well as race.

Either way, would love to hear an hour or so on classic Murphy.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this