🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKrusto

An American in Paris vs. Singin' in the Rain

The former won six Oscars including Best Picture and features some of the best songs the Gershwins ever composed. The latter is on the American Film Institute's list of the top five greatest American films. Both are masterpieces from Gene Kelly, but which is more Canon worthy?

Singing in the Rain would probably beat out any musical barring possibly West Side Story. I can't help but think back on the Annie Hall vs Manhattan episode, where I think "neither" got more write-in votes than Manhattan.

I wonder if American in Paris vs On the Town would be more competitive. Paris has one truly outstanding sequence (maybe two) and a single comic relief character, while Town focuses on a fast pace and constant use of comedy from everyone involved. Singing in the Rain basically combines the strengths of both - a better song selection than Paris, the comedy of Town, and more show-stoppers than either of them.

Though I'd still take the grand ballet from Paris over anything in any other musical.

And the winner is... La La Land. At this point, I really want to vote in La La Land.

You're right. We don't need to keep giving Amy reasons to bring that movie back up.

We'll have to put this off until she calms down.

Sign in to follow this