🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shakesbeard

How Did This Theme Song Get Made?

This really only pertains to those films that have well known, or popular "theme" songs, if you will. It'd be interesting to see some of them piggybacked onto the movies you review, the only problem is that most of the "well known" songs come from movies you probably wouldn't review.

Examples:

Bruce Springsteen: "Streets of Philadelphia" from Philadelphia, "Secret Garden" from Jerry Maguire

Coolio: "Gangsta's Paradise" - Dangerous Minds

Will Smith: "Men in Black" from, well you know.

Seal: "Kiss From a Rose" - Batman Forever

Tina Turner: "We Don't Need Another Hero" - Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Sixpence None The Richer: "Kiss Me" - She's All That

Evanescence: "Bring Me to Life" - Daredevil

R. Kelly: "I Believe I Can Fly" - Space Jam

Aerosmith: "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" - Armageddon

Kenny Loggins: :"Footloose" - Footloose

Chad Kroeger: "Hero" - Spider-Man

Eminem: "Lose Yourself" - 8 Mile

etc. and the list goes on.

Great idea! I'd expand it to include bad scores as well, where an already badly acted scene (or entire movie) is amplified by tedious, melodramatic, counter-intuitive, or just flat-out awful background music.

For example, I laughed harder at the shitty 80's horror-score in "Sleepaway Camp" than I did the rest of the movie. That shit was seriously, oppressively, distractingly bad. Ditto for "On the Line."

Normal people (who aren't obsessed with movies) don't realize what a large role music plays in setting the overall tone of a movie. Hell, Spielberg is the undisputed master of using manipulative music to evoke emotions, for better or worse. It works well in "Jaws" (try to imagine the best scenes from the movie without the iconic music), but not so much when he forces overwhelming saccharine, bathos-y shit into everything else (looking at you, "War Horse").

There should be a special category for movies that used Clint Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" or Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" in their trailers. That should cover every shitty action movie in the last 10 years.

And Aerosmith's "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" should be considered a fucking war crime. If Spielberg re-cuts "Schindler's List," it could easily play over the concentration camp scenes.

Sign in to follow this