🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PhillipMedoc

Are foreign movies game?

I can believe that because everyone wanted to make that movie at one point or another. Ridley Scott was going to make it then got pulled of the project because of the rights. then David lynch was going to film jedi tell he got the rights for dune.

First time I've ever seen it. Holy Mountain. It's on youtube so Maybe I'll watch it tonight. I need something crazy to get my mind of things.

Both of those movies belong on Le Skinamax than a regular theatre. But I do think that is a thing with French films.

Seeing as how the winner of the Cannes Film Festival this year is a three-hour lesbian romance in two parts with explicit sex scenes, I'm going to say that yes, it is. And it sounds awesome.

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST WATCH!!!! WHO GAVE THIS MAN MONEY TO MAKE THIS??? HOW DID HE EVEN GET PEOPLE TO PARTICIPATE IN IT???

The answer, surprisingly, is John Lennon. He saw the director's previous insane movie, "El Topo"*, and got record executive Allen Klein to not only release that movie, but to finance "The Holy Mountain." (Allen Klein is also responsible for both movies all but disappearing from America for decades, because he wanted to outlive Jodorowsky and make more money off the movies. Needless to say, Klein was kind of an awful person.)

* Which I wanted to like, but couldn't get over the impression that there was a surprising amount of homophobia to it.

Jodorowsky's Dune has become legend. It wouldn't have been Dune any more than Lynch's version, but it certainly might have been interesting.

• Like 1

Seeing as how the winner of the Cannes Film Festival this year is a three-hour lesbian romance in two parts with explicit sex scenes, I'm going to say that yes, it is. And it sounds awesome.

The answer, surprisingly, is John Lennon. He saw the director's previous insane movie, "El Topo"*, and got record executive Allen Klein to not only release that movie, but to finance "The Holy Mountain." (Allen Klein is also responsible for both movies all but disappearing from America for decades, because he wanted to outlive Jodorowsky and make more money off the movies. Needless to say, Klein was kind of an awful person.)

* Which I wanted to like, but couldn't get over the impression that there was a surprising amount of homophobia to it.

I wonder if the heavy hand of Yoko Ono played a part in his decision, or the copious amounts of drugs in his system. When you say Klien left the States to outlive the director, what do you mean? Was the director killed because of the movie?

Oh yeah, the "forbidden love" theme is strong in French movies -- teacher/student, adult/teenager, gay people, interracial couples -- they eat that shit up.

I wonder if the heavy hand of Yoko Ono played a part in his decision, or the copious amounts of drugs in his system. When you say Klien left the States to outlive the director, what do you mean? Was the director killed because of the movie?

He didn't leave the States; he took the movies out of circulation. He wanted to outlive Jodorowsky and then re-release the movies to keep more of the profits; if the director outlived him, he'd get the rights back. Some agreement must have been reached, because the movies were eventually released on DVD before Klein's death. (Jodorowsky is still alive, and recently had a movie premiere at Cannes.)

That The Holy Mountain is nuts. I don't know what type of cheap drugs you need to take to enjoy this film but I sure as hell didn't care for it. it's like salvador dali wanted to become a film maker and made this film. or in inspired by salvador dali anyway. check out the salvador dali museum in spain, it's crazy. then you'll understand my connection to it. I am sure glad Dune didn't get made by this mad man of a director. say what you want about david lynch it's still a entertaining movie even if it sorta sucks.hey it's got patrick picard in it for god sake, mr make it so..

That The Holy Mountain is nuts. I don't know what type of cheap drugs you need to take to enjoy this film but I sure as hell didn't care for it.

Different boats for different goats.

I paid something like $40 for a bootleg VHS of Holy Mountain (and El Topo) on ebay back in the late 90s; I have no regrets. Aside from the yes, craziness of the whole thing, there is an actual narrative and it builds to a conclusion I find very satisfying. The very last scene (why don't we have spoiler tags here?) is one of my favorite moments in the medium of cinema. While the film might seem impenetrable upon first impression, it doesn't even begin to get to the level of nonsense pretentiousness seen in, say, Peter Greenaway (The Falls, A Zed & Two Naughts) or certain films in the Criterion Collection (

, etc).

I guess I'm just one of those people who likes Justin Timberlake as much as I enjoy Skinny Puppy.

as I've gotten older I've gotten more ADD, I can't seem to watch painfully long crazy artschool warhol like movies anymore. I loved andy warhol dracula. I remember going to a video store and having to search the adult section to find it. why it was in that part of the store is crazy. I don't think I could watch it now.

I found my self fast forwarding most of the Holy Mountain but it was the youtube version. so it was crap transfer. Maybe a cleaned up version may work better for me.

I guess I'm just one of those people who likes Justin Timberlake as much as I enjoy Skinny Puppy.

This sounds like a trick question, so you are saying you like Justin timberlake? but hate skinny puppy. i am amazed that you would know who skinny puppy is. showing your age like me.LOL

Skinny puppy now thats a name I have not heard in a long time, long time.

Skinny puppy now thats a name I have not heard in a long time, long time.

Whoa, that's weird, it quotes something different from what you posting -- guessing you just edited it as I replied. I like classic SP, they still put out albums but it's different; people don't make the same music when they're not junkies.

I used to be one of those people who only listened to super obscure music because like, fuck the mainstream, man. I actually had an ambient/experimental radio show for a number of years; another dj at the station did a soul/R&B show and turned me on to a bunch of awesome music. I realized that if I could enjoy great pop music from years past (girl groups like The

or
and holy shit,
is the fucking man) then what's wrong with modern pop music? Sure, a lot of it's garbage, but that's always been the case with everything, still is.

So yes, JT's "My Love" is one of the best pop songs from the last ten years and if

don't put a smile on your face, you better check to see if your heart's still ticking.

LtQpdCT.jpg

sorry, i'm on my lunch break.

I found my self fast forwarding most of the Holy Mountain but it was the youtube version. so it was crap transfer. Maybe a cleaned up version may work better for me.

I can't watch anything longer than 5 minutes on a computer. Yeah, you kinda need to experience the whole thing but like I said, if you don't enjoy something don't force it.

Boy that cat picture is messing with my mind. it's like double vision.

sorry I sometimes don't notice my spell checker has corrected the words in a wrong after I hit post and then I play clean up and edit... I like Cee-lo Green too.

I think a good one would be "Like Water for Chocolate." The movie is pretty good in my opinion, but it gets very very weird at parts. Might be worth doing for the Jason freak-outs...

Sign in to follow this