Episode 101 - Shakespeare in Love (w/ David Ehrlich)

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Shakespeare in Love: Joseph Fienne-lly in The Canon? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Shakespeare in Love be invited into The Canon?

1. Indeed! (28 votes [34.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.15%

2. Not quite (54 votes [65.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 0=Axel=0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

I had never seen this before, and was quite floored by it. I voted YES. What an excellent screenplay. What a stellar ensemble cast. It looks like it won't make it in, sadly. This isn't as unfortunate a loss as The Hurt Locker (which suffered a downright disgusting exclusion from the canon) but I do really think it deserved to get in. Hopefully it'll get a second chance if Amy still wants to do those episodes where previously losing films go against each other, but then again, it'd be up against behemoths like Boogie Nights and The Hurt Locker.

#42 bravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Adding my amen to the NOs. The main thing that's stayed with me from this movie is the grating look-how-cute-we-are quotes from the plays liberally strewn in the dialogue. Shakespeare in Love has its charms, but is a little too slight to be canonical.

It is possible, however, that it's one of the best of the writer biopic genre. It's hard to think of any that are much good. For example, I just saw the critically praised but mediocre and stilted Dickinson pic, a Quiet Passion, and I'd take SIL over that any day.