🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode UCB1 — BONUS EPISODE – Ask the UCB? – The UCB Philosophy

I really respect the UCB and everything it does. There just isn't that kind of institution or support structure around the country.

For example, I started doing stand up back in September, and I have to drive an hour each way just to do 5-10 minutes at a free open mic once a week. The only comedy club shut down because of health code violations, and they didn't even do an open mic for young comedians. There is absolutely no infrastructure for comedy, and virtually no opportunity for performers unless you're in one of the large metropolitan areas. The only chance I've had at a decent sized and attentive audience was at a private function someone set up.

I plan on moving out to LA sometime in the next year and attending classes at UCB... Whether or not improv is my thing, it seems like a beneficial atmosphere for any young performer to be a part of.

I wish I lived within range of a UCB theatre! I'd sign up for classes, if for no other reason than to be surrounded by other like-minded folks. I dunno what my goal would be other than the experience itself, though. But it's definitely something I'd like to do one day.

And congrats Slunch on starting standup! I don't think I'd have the cajones.

• Like 1

Thanks for talking about the money side of things. I know it feels awkward but it helps other people in sketch and improv to know what you've gone through and why you've made the choices you have. They might not make the same ones but it's good to have it laid out. And to know what NY city can put you through.

Matt & Ian,

I am a total flyover (WA & MI). Have been my whole life. But ever since your TV show I have been a fan, up to this day listening to podcasts and following your stand up. This episode was so great to hear how and why you guys do what you do. I love weird comedy, and it's nearly impossible to get here in the middle, so when you guys do some background on your school and vision and theater and everything, it is truly inspirational.

Additionally I'm a media professor who gives students the best/worst advice to follow their talents and actually move to LA/NYC if they want to be in the entertainment industry. I'll be doing all I can to send all of my best to UCB.

Thanks for podcasting in general, but a special thanks for this ep. (finally posted on the forums because of it - also it helped me remember to buy your standup).

• Like 1