🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ill Neal

great gatsby? a current movie!

i never saw baz lurman's romeo & juliet. i never saw moulin rouge. his great gatsby just looks so fucking, and if i may quote jason, cukoo bananas crazy with garrish 3D bullshit and a soundtrack with fucking jay-z and fergie... it all sounds "on the spectrum"...

NOW, i did happen to listen to an interview of baz. lurhman? laz burman? whatever, the director on colbert report and i kind of appreciated his POV on the whole project. which is fine. but still, this is a movie that looks visually fucked up, it's getting middling reviews, and it's current which i actually missed about the older episodes.

don't get me wrong, i like it when they do an episode where you can easily find the movie on netflix or on demand or the internet or... in my own DVD collection... but i also enjoyed the current "NOW!" factor when they used to do more episodes about movies which were still in theaters. i feel like they haven't done one of those in a while.

and if not great gatbsty... do "after earth" because that one looks fucking terrible...!!!

I really don't understand recommending a movie you haven't seen yet. Just because a movie looks like it's going to be shitty doesn't mean it will be and even if it is might not be worthy of an episode, so why not wait until you have seen it before you recommend it?

Also, I would love to hear from the people who recently added Children of Men and There Will Be Blood on the FYI site. Even if you don't like those movies, there is absolutely no reason to do an episode on those.

• Like 2

Also, I would love to hear from the people who recently added Children of Men and There Will Be Blood on the FYI site. Even if you don't like those movies, there is absolutely no reason to do an episode on those.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that just because you didn't like a movie does not mean it's going to be a good candidate for HDTGM. People nominating stuff like Children of Men are just straight-up trolling, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

As far as Gatsby goes, I doubt it would make for a good episode. It's very deliberately OTT which is in keeping with Luhrman's style. You could make fun of the art direction/CGI, etc., but the plot/script is basically straight from F Scott Fitzgerald.

It's very deliberately OTT which is in keeping with Luhrman's style.

yeah but also completely antithetical to one of the central points the novel tries to make

still tho i don't see this movie being a great candidate

yeah but also completely antithetical to one of the central points the novel tries to make

still tho i don't see this movie being a great candidate

Actually, I think that's very much in keeping with a novel that's all about excess. One of my biggest issues with the Robert Redford version was how damn sterile the whole thing was. Nothing about it said Jazz Age to me, whereas this version seems to have captured the madness of the era, at the very least. Gatsby's life should seem like the ultimate dream until the facade starts chipping away.

• Like 1

i think the best review i read said something to the effect of the parties in the movie compared to the novel's thematic ideas are like "throwing a lolita-themed child's party" but i admittedly haven't seen this movie yet so can't do much than quote something i read about it

Sign in to follow this