🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TheOldAmbition

That thing you do! (1996. Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler)

Oh man!

So, I saw this movie as a kid and was likely not paying attention enough to realize what was actually happening.

I recently watched it again at a public screening in a park (A weekly summer thing. Other movies featured included The Last Waltz, Shut up and play the hits, and Buena Vista Social Club. HOW DOES THIS FIT IN?)

Goodness gracious this is an awful movie. I'm usually down for some T-Hanks but this is like, maybe he wanted to make a movie about the Beatles but someone said "you don't have enough money for that" and pulled this out of his ass.

The movie left the entire park groaning in the end. tumblr_lp95dikBfd1qkyz1oo1_500.png

OH AND BY THE WAY, this movie ends with one of the most unexpected and hilarious freeze frames of all time.

It's somewhat saccharine, but hardly HDTGM worthy. As I recall, this was not only critically well-liked, but the song was incredibly popular.

Worth noting that Hanks did a Director's Cut about 10 years after it came out, restoring a lot of character stuff that had been cut. Like the fact that his character was gay.

Yeah, this is really not an insane movie. (And the band in it is really not like the Beatles at all, aside from the fact that they are both made up of four white guys.)

Also, the song itself is pretty great.

When a movie can be someone's unironic favorite (not me), it shouldn't be done.

When a movie can be someone's unironic favorite (not me), it shouldn't be done.

Then that cuts out a lot of movies then. There are people that have 88 Minutes as their favorite movie.

Sign in to follow this