🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MyRealNameIsDoug

Sark-esque Adventures?

Hey guys,

I'll be DMing an adventure with my friends soon (on 3.5). I basically haven't ever DM'd before, but I was really inspired by Sark to try it out. ONE of my favorite things about him, as a DM, is the way he seems to put a creative spin on the fantasy genre, both in this adventure and, from what we can gather, from past adventures, what with the time travel and everything.

I would really like to bring something similar to the table with my players, but I was hoping to use a module at first, while I get used to DMing. I was wondering if someone could recommend anything, based on what I've said I'm trying to do. I've read about quite a few pre-made adventures, and while I'm sure they are quite good in their own right, I haven't seen anything quite like what I'm looking for. Like I said, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Team

A little late to this post but

On GMing: Sark has obviously been DMing for awhile so to shoot for his level before learning to walk might burn you out.

Skip the modules, very few people like railroading.

Here is my guess on how sark works. He doesn't seem like a "the world is fully fleshed out from one side of the map to the other" kinda guy. My guess is he had the collector idea along with the starting on the ship, a brief outline of the world they where going too and let the group kinda dictate where the story went. Basically, he planned the first 2 hours of story and then allowed the pcs to create the story, then after the session he thinks about where the pcs are heading and then preps for the next session based on what they gave him.

The biggest thing for a new GM is to not get to attached to the ideas you have came up with since your pcs will likely fuck your prep up with a direction you didn't think they where going to go in. New gms tend to railroad, being to attached to their ideas. Prep some npcs, prep some combat npcs, get a basic story as to how the characters end up together , quickly think of the world or part of a known world they are in and then let the pcs guide the story. Then after each session prep for the immediate actions they will take and let them go from there. Let the story simmer a bit and ideas will come naturally.

Also, once you DM, your sensitivity to TV, movies, and books become increased and you can draw ideas from that media to fit into your story.

Let it flow.

• Like 1

Also, there is a lot of great stuff on the Internet on how to start DMing.

Hell, use sarks first setting of being lost on a ship and see where your story goes. Chances are your pcs will act differently then the nerd poker group and you will likely have a completely different story and/or world after a few sessions.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this