🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 535 - Interracial Adoption

Eugene Cordero & Andrew talk about the notion of wrongly raising an adopted child of a different race. Make sure to leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

Shortly after my sister and her ex (both white) had their son, the two of them talked about adopting a child who wasn't white "to show people that it doesn't matter what colour your skin is". I feel that using interracial adoption as a "teaching moment", to use your child to make yourself look good is really tacky. Like, "Look at what an open-minded white person I am for adopting a non-white child!"

But of course any time I've pursued romantic relationships with non-white men, my sister has had PLENTY to say about that. She has talked openly about how Asian men "repulse" her, and that if I "absolutely have to" marry a guy who isn't white, to "go with a nice mulatto".

I am from Manitoba Canada. We have the highest percentage of unemployed Aboriginals in Canada and there is always a story about child abuse and deaths in remote reserves. Although if you are non Aboriginal they will not allow you to adopt Aboriginal children. They believe that they will lose a sense of their culture. So they would rather these kids stay in foster care and eventually kick them out when they get of legal age, rather than have them be raised by non Aboriginal people. They allow Asian and African American children get adopted by people of other races. Just not Aboriginal kids.

Shortly after my sister and her ex (both white) had their son, the two of them talked about adopting a child who wasn't white "to show people that it doesn't matter what colour your skin is". I feel that using interracial adoption as a "teaching moment", to use your child to make yourself look good is really tacky. Like, "Look at what an open-minded white person I am for adopting a non-white child!"

Well, talk is rather cheap, doubtful such folk would follow through.

Well, talk is rather cheap, doubtful such folk would follow through.

Thank god she has the attention span of a gnat.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this