🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BeccaReardon

The Duff

Trailer:

I watched this movie over the weekend and I could not help but hear Paul, June & Jason's voices in my head through the entire duration of the film.

IT.IS.SO.BAD

It seemed as if a bunch of old people created a film for a much younger generation. Why you ask? Since the plot is based off of internet bullying, there was a lot of digital elements throughout but NOTHING lines up. The sound they used for a mouse click was very clearly the sound of a spacebar, somehow the school had their own social media platform? Relationships didn't make sense. Also, the lead roles are played by people nearly 30 so watching them act like high schoolers is AMAZING.

The plot is hilarious and the movie itself is so bad that I had the best time ever. I highly recommend anyone who really enjoys shitty movies to watch this film asap.

Please make a HDTGM! I wish I could do it myself.

My two problems with the movie (which I haven't seen, so I'm just going by the ads for it):

1. Everybody acts like the term "DUFF" is a thing, even though it sounds like a term they invented for the movie. I have a hard time believing that teenagers would popularize an acronym with a word like "designated" in it, when they could just say "ugly fat friend" or whatever the actual term is.

2. Mae Whitman is supposed to be the "designated ugly fat friend," even though she's not ugly or fat. If anything, she's Hollywood Chubby and Hollywood Ugly (i.e. has curves, not supermodel-gorgeous).

To be fair some schools do set up their own sites that are for social interaction as well as doing school work, hell even Facebook started out as a site for Harvard students. It seems like people wanted this to be the next big teen movie, like Mean Girls, as all the promotion was about how this was an anticipated movie that everyone was creaming over. Yet you know its not that great when the quotes in trailers or on posters are big font, but the person who said it is in size .5 font, i.e. trailers for The Room and Gooby had a lot of these quotes.

1. Everybody acts like the term "DUFF" is a thing, even though it sounds like a term they invented for the movie. I have a hard time believing that teenagers would popularize an acronym with a word like "designated" in it, when they could just say "ugly fat friend" or whatever the actual term is.

It is a phrase that has been around for a while, but it was probably said by people in their 20s going out to bars 10 years ago, not teens in high school today

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this