🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MaksGonopolsky

Question for DMs and PCs and listeners

If the party derails a DMs story, isnt it the DMs job to get it back on track? Ive been listening to the last 70ish episodes hoping this would happen. That we would get some sort of narrative. Some end to endless boring combat.

I mean, does anyone involved with the show this forum? Or the itunes reviews? I have gone from dissapointment to anger to utter confusion. Anyone else?

I've listened faithfully to every episode of Nerd Poker. In the 15 months since Blaine took over I've come to what I feel are two important conclusions regarding the show.

1. Blaine is apparently never coming up with any semblance of plot

2. Brian apparently gives zero shits that Blaine is never coming up with any semblance of plot

I think Nerd Poker fans have to come to terms with those two conclusions and go from there. If you're looking for a D&D podcast more similar in tone to what Sark did, there are truthfully a plethora of better options out there. If you're looking for casual guys hanging out and riffing on pop culture and trying to figure out who farted in the studio while fighting an endless army of giants and monsters, Nerd Poker is the absolute undisputed champion of that particular field.

In regards to your comment I would also point out that it's usually Blaine himself who derails things, so asking him to get things back on track is a little like asking an arsonist to also be your local fire chief.

If the party derails a DMs story, isnt it the DMs job to get it back on track? Ive been listening to the last 70ish episodes hoping this would happen. That we would get some sort of narrative. Some end to endless boring combat.

I mean, does anyone involved with the show this forum? Or the itunes reviews? I have gone from dissapointment to anger to utter confusion. Anyone else?

So, the DM's job is to make sure everyone is having fun first and foremost not to provide story. Some groups want fighting, others want no combat, and most want a blend.Now, that means that all players should be having fun which is where I believe Blaine is faltering . Some players (Brian comes to mind) want a Danger Room type of game while others are craving story. I am not saying the others aren't having fun but you can clearly tell that Dan is craving story but went against his desires because of his character and role playing her as she should be.

All that said...

-Has Blaine attempted to add chances to interact with NPCs; yes

-Has the party destroyed some of those attempts; yes

-Is there hope that we may see story at some point; yes (I REALLY hope that there will be some interaction with the walkie talkie gem)

Sign in to follow this