🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
dask360

Deadly Friend (1986)

Boy makes robot. Boy meets girl. They fall in love. Robot dies. Girl dies. Boy steals her body from the hospital and puts the robot microchip in her brain. Girl goes on a killing spree.

I personally love this movie, but it is one Wes Craven often cited as his worst film. It starts out as an innocent Short Circuit/Gremlins/ET rip-off, a boy and his ‘pet’ story, that springboards into a Bride of Frankenstein-esque gory mess. It’s a great example of how easily producers, studio execs, and test audiences can ruin a movie (not to say they were working on high art to begin with). Craven wanted a departure from horror fame and set out to craft a PG love story with some dark fantasy elements and was forced instead to “be that spooky Nightmare guy.” The trailer cuts out any mention of nor even shows a single frame of the titular ‘friend’ BB the robot. The added gore scenes are so over the top and laughable that it’s hard not to shake your head and ask yourself, “what the hell am I watching.” I think you guys would have a lot of fun with this one.

I feel bad ruining this, because if you aren’t expecting it you’d never see it coming, but the most infamous scene is this murder-by-basketball:

Fun fact: the screenwriter would go on to win Oscar gold for Ghost.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I second this, this would be the perfect tribute to Craven. I've always loved this movie, not exactly a masterpiece but still entertaining. Always thought Kristy Swanson was hot as Hell in it, too. I would love to see HDTGM cover the fact that Swanson gets killed by her father after coming home from Thanksgiving dinner.

Talk about the Worst. Thanksgiving. Ever. (except for maybe the very first one)

We need this to be your Halloween episode this year.

Come on, give us more Mannequin Two (Kristy Swanson)!

It's what the people want. PLEASE!!