🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rotmonian

Suggestion: Lucio Fulci's The Beyond

1. I think it would be fun to make Amy sit through another Italian exploitation film.

2. I don't think there's a lock on any Fulci film, including Zombi 2 (which makes it fun). It would be a lot easier to do Dario Argento's films, like Deep Red or Suspiria, but I think we should recognize the second life film criticism has granted to Fulci, especially in regard to his influence on the likes of Tarantino and Rodriguez.

3. There's a lot of Italian cinematic history that was skipped over in the Cannibal Holocaust episode, in regard to exploitation, horror, and giallo.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm not the one who made the internet so goddamn democratic.

Ha, totally agree, though the actual episode was pretty great. Talking about Cannibal Holocaust is always infinitely more fun than watching Cannibal Holocaust.

But after posting this, I kinda change my mind and would prefer an Argento giallo, like Deep Red or Suspiria. Or maybe even a Mario Bava giallo. We could really get into where the slasher genre started, and despite what we think of the genre in particular, any film that created it would probably be Canon-worthy. Could even have a Suspiria vs. Blood and Black Lace for best giallo.

• Like 1

I love Fulci and totally want to see him in the canon. The Beyond and City of the Living Dead are my favorites by him.

• Like 1

If there isn't a scene in the Canon where someone's face gets eaten off by tarantulas, I don't know if that's a Canon I want to be involved with.

I love Fulci and totally want to see him in the canon. The Beyond and City of the Living Dead are my favorites by him.

I'm one of those idiots who thinks House by the Cemetery is his most realized horror film in terms of storytelling and "characters." But The Beyond I think is his most canon-worthy: it's a masterpiece of tone and creativity, and its influence cannot be denied.

I love The Beyond my local theater just screened it on 35mm and it looked amazing. I'm all for more Italian horror in the canon.

Not to quote you twice in a day, but I just saw City of the Living Dead for the first time on 35mm at Chicago's Music Box Theatre last month and adored it. Best undead priest incineration in cinema.

The Beyond is a great candidate, but Fulci's just fun to discuss in general. An embarrassment of great choices.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this