🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bri-witched

Andrzej Żuławski's Possession

This film is insane, and I love it. The sequence in the subway is one of the most fascinating and terrifying scenes I've ever seen on film.

• Like 2

They did bring this up in the Cannibal Holocaust episode. So, it's not outside the realm of possibility that we might get an episode on Possession.

I recently went on a date with a woman who, in the course of our conversation, revealed that she had a Possession tattoo. We spent the entire rest of the night excitedly talking about Zulawski's terrifying masterpiece and film in general, and I think she's a friend for life now. That is the kind of film Possession is; seemingly inscrutable and incomprehensible, brutally visceral, and I can't imagine not having a passionate response to it.

I worry that it is too obscure, though it has a surprisingly high number of votes on IMDB. I'm not sure of its impact; to me, it's always been a film for avant-garde fanatics, art weirdos, and lovers of bizarre horror. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Amy or Devin hadn't seen it.

Easily one of my favorite movies. I have a Monday Night Mindfuck film club and this was the first movie we watched, over a dozen movies later and it's still one of the best.

I humbly submit Possession because it is a movie that defies categorization. It's important because it shows that films don't need to check a box to be wonderful. It's unlike any film I have ever seen. One of a kind cinema needs to be preserved in your canon.

It's a great film that feels deranged, but is really a very meticulously controlled work of art.

Sign in to follow this