🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ApertureScience

30s/40s Screwball comedies

Not sure if it's been suggested before, but I think that either a single episode or a vs episode about the fast-paced, witty screwball comedies from the late 30s-earlier 40s would be really interesting.

Any combination of: "It Happened One Night"; "Bringing Up Baby"; "His Girl Friday" "The Philadelphia Story"

(I'm not limiting it to those four - they just happened to be the four that pop into my mind first)

Some suggestions -

"The Philadelphia Story" vs "His Girl Friday",

"Bringing Up Baby" vs "The Philadelphia Story"

"It Happened One Night" vs "Bringing Up Baby"

Ugh..Those last two would be a total Sophie's Choice for me.

Personally, I'd love a standalone episode for It Happened One Night, because it so clearly informs nearly every romantic comedy that follows it. That, and it's such a phenomenal picture that it really deserves to be discussed by itself.

Personally, I'd love a standalone episode for It Happened One Night, because it so clearly informs nearly every romantic comedy that follows it. That, and it's such a phenomenal picture that it really deserves to be discussed by itself.

Totally agreed, and I was going to suggest this at the end, but I thought that might be a bit too obvious, but I guess if other "slam-dunks" like "The Searchers" and "Double Indemnity" can have their own stand-alone episodes, I don't see why "It Happened One Night" can't.

• Like 1

Totally agreed, and I was going to suggest this at the end, but I thought that might be a bit too obvious, but I guess if other "slam-dunks" like "The Searchers" and "Double Indemnity" can have their own stand-alone episodes, I don't see why "It Happened One Night" can't.

I see what you mean, and to be honest, it is way more fun to pit two titans of cinema against one another. That's why, in the Casablanca thread, I wanted to do that one as part of a versus: It'd be way more entertaining to argue two GREAT films that are 100% canon-worthy on their own. Part of me is reluctant to put It Happened One Night in a versus episode, partially because I love it so much. But if that's what it came down to, I'm sure I'd live, no matter the results.

• Like 1

I am all for this. I had a TCM phase in high school and this is when I was first introduced to His Girl Friday and The Philadelphia Story. A versus of these two would be so enjoyable. Have we even had a Cary Grant film in the Canon yet? One of his films definitely deserves to be in there. Grant, along with Hepburn and Stewart are perfect in The Philadelphia Story. Now I need to go watch this.

Sidenote: High Society wasn't that bad either.

Sign in to follow this