🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 23 - Anglican Bipolar Blacksheep

For generations her family has been preaching fire and brimstone in the Pentecostal church, but this caller had to find her own way. A self-described, "Anglican bipolar black sheep," she is now preaching a much different message, dedicated to the treatment of mental illness.

I loved that you let this caller just talk her stuff out. She absolutely had a LOT to share, said it with serious energy, etc. It may have been tempting to cut her off at times. I'm glad you didn't.

This episode really resonated with me. I didn't grow up as a pastor's child, but I did go to a pretty conservative, theologically heavy church for 8 years until I left about 2 years ago. I'm still unpacking the damage that did to my self-esteem, and I keep having anxiety over whether I made a huge mistake. I definitely feel like the black sheep at times as well.

fascinating episode, Chris, and as usual you did a great job in how you handled your questions and comments. She was articulate, interesting, and her stories were frightening at time (punishments). She's overcome a lot and sounded so mature. Nice job, Chris. Love your show.