🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Legend of Bagger Vance (2000)

I was watching this the other day, and my mind was pretty well blown when I realized that this movie was essentially a dramatic re-telling of Happy Gilmore.

I think this movie is a fairly solid entry point into genre of generally bad movies that feature for one reason or another a black character that inexplicably has magical powers. I think this movie and Green Mile in particular took this premise and amplified it by 11.

That aside, lets talk about Matt Damon's name in the movie: Rannulph Junuh. Who the fuck wrote that name down and was like "yup, that sounds like something one human being would name another human being."

Theres also the fact that the kid in this movie looks they put Scott Aukermans head onto a childs body

Heres the trailer for full context.

• Like 1

Spike Lee nailed this one. It's almost enough for forgive him for being a Knicks fan:

During a master's tea with an audience of more than 200 students in the Calhoun College dining hall, Lee cited four recent films in which there is a "magical, mystical Negro" character: "The Family Man," "What Dreams May Come," "The Legend of Bagger Vance" and "The Green Mile." In the latter film, Lee noted, a black inmate cures a prison guard of disease simply by touching him; in "The Legend of Bagger Vance," a black man "with all these powers," teaches a young white male (played by actor Matt Damon), how to golf like a champion.

The film director, who frequently inspired the laughter of his audience as he peppered his talk with expletives, was unreserved in his criticism of this new characterization of blacks, posing to his audience the question: "How is it that black people have these powers but they use them for the benefit of white people?"

Noting that "The Legend of Bagger Vance" takes place in Depression-era Georgia, a time when lynching of blacks in the South was commonplace, Lee stated, incredulously, "Blacks are getting lynched left and right, and [bagger Vance is] more concerned about improving Matt Damon's golf swing!

• Like 1

I make this thread and then a few days later it gets mentioned on the Gods of Egypt podcast. I think thats destiny knocking...............

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this